This Bacon Wrapped Turkey Roulade is a tasty way to make turkey the star of your holiday table. Bacon wrapped turkey breast is stuffed with a hearty sausage filling spiked with sweet cherries.
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Breast
Today’s recipe is a twist on the traditional Thanksgiving turkey and I think it is a pretty delicious adaptation. Tender turkey breast is stuffed with a savory sausage stuffing that gets a little touch of sweetness from dried cherries.
The whole roulade is wrapped in a bacon weave (I recommend using my homemade smoked bacon) and slow roasted with apple wood for a gorgeous presentation that tastes even better than it looks.
Grilled Stuffed Turkey Breast
You know how much I love encouraging people to step outside and test the boundaries on what is “typically” grilled or smoked and hopefully inspire you guys to try something new. Since this is a pretty lean turkey breast, I wanted to prevent it from drying out while still providing enough even heat to crisp up that bacon on the outside. Indirect heat is the way to go with this cook!
I kept my smoker at about 275 degrees F during the cook and used apple wood to smoke. The end result was a mildly smoky, juicy, succulent turkey breast with tender savory stuffing and a crispy bacon exterior. Absolutely delicious and star of our dinner table for sure. I hope you guys give this one a try!
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Roulade
- 1 2-3 pound boneless skinless turkey breast
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
Sausage Cherry Stuffing
- 1/2 pound sage pork sausage
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup celery sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread cubes or unseasoned stuffing
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Prepare your smoker for indirect cooking at 275 degrees F.
- While your smoker preheats, prepare your turkey roulade. In a medium skillet, brown the pork sausage for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the onions and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour in the cherries, bread cubes, stock, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss gently. Set aside.
- Place the turkey breast on a large cutting board and butterfly open by cutting in half almost all the way through. Set the turkey in between two pieces of parchment paper and pound the turkey breast to an even thickness with a meat mallet.
- On the cutting board, create a 5x5 bacon weave and set the flattened butterfly turkey breast centered on the bacon weave. Season the turkey breast with salt and pepper 1 teaspoon of the poultry seasoning. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the middle of the turkey breast.
- Start at one side and carefully roll up the bacon weave and turkey breast around the stuffing. Overlap the bacon underneath the turkey and on the ends. Season the outside of the bacon with a little more poultry seasoning
- Open the lid and put the turkey breast on the grill grates. Close the lid and smoke at 275 degrees for about an hour and a half, or until the internal temperature of the turkey roulade reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the turkey roulade from the grill and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing into 1 inch rounds and serving.