These Candied Sweet Potato Stacks are the ultimate side dish for your upcoming holiday feasts! A tasty twist on traditional sweet potato casserole with a wow-factor presentation.
The secret to perfectly stacked sweet potato slices (say that 10 times fast) is the set-up. I layer up the thinly sliced sweet potatoes with a spiced butter and brown sugar mixture that bubbles into the most delicious caramel sauce. Each sweet potato stack stays put in its’ own muffin tin cup, so the potatoes don’t slide around and the sauce soaks into all of the bottom layers.
PRO-TIP: To spare yourself some prep time on big party day, these sweet potato stacks can be made a day in advance. Simply follow the steps to prepare a pan full of sweet potato stacks with the brown sugar/butter sauce on each one and then cover with foil or plastic wrap. When you’re ready to put these in the oven or on your indirect grill, just remove the foil and bake as directed.
Once these beauties are baked, be sure to give them a few minutes in the pan to cool slightly before transferring them to a serving dish. That will give the caramel and the sweet potatoes enough time to come together so your stacks don’t fall apart. If you want a little extra garnish for the plate, you can sprinkle with some more cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg.
PS- I’m still counting these as a vegetable. Yes, they are dripping in sticky sweet caramel and marshmallows, but under all that is something that once grew in the ground. Ha!
- 2 sweet potatoes skinny enough to fit in a muffin tin
- 8 Tablespoons melted butter divided use
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat your pellet grill (or oven) to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice very thinly. You can even use a mandolin to slice the sweet potatoes evenly. Brush the cups of a muffin tin with some of the melted butter. Stack 5-6 slices of sweet potato in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Spoon a teaspoon of the butter/brown sugar mixture over each of the small stacks of potatoes. Fill the rest of the muffin tins with the remaining sweet potatoes.
- Top each stack with the remaining brown sugar and butter mixture then place in the grill/oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the muffin tin from the grill or oven and top each with a tablespoon of the marshmallow fluff and a sprinkle of the pecans. Return to the grill and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the marshmallow fluff is heated through and starts to melt down the stacks.
- Remove the pan from the grill and leave the sweet potato stacks in the muffin tin for 10 minutes while they cool slightly and set. Carefully use a spoon to lift out each stack and transfer to a serving dish. You can also spoon any additional caramel sauce from the muffin tin over the stacks.