These Grilled Sweet Potatoes are little slices of heaven. Grilled to a crispy, tender finish, and served with my chipotle lime dipping sauce, these make a delicious (and nutritious) appetizer or side dish to compliment your BBQ.
Grilled Sweet Potato Slices
I’m a big fan of simply seasoned and grilled sweet potato slices. They make a great substitute for french fries, and I feel ever so slightly healthier when we grill these up vs. fries or tots. These grilled sweet potatoes are my go-to with a nice, juicy burger. They are simply divine eaten on their own, but they are also great dunked in my chipotle lime dipping sauce.
These sweet potato slices have a secret ingredient: my Award-Winning Chicken Seasoning. You can purchase a bottle of your own chicken seasoning from Patio Provisions, or you can even keep it simple with a good seasoning of salt and pepper. The chicken seasoning adds a punch of flavor with just a kiss of heat to these grilled sweet potato slices, and they are extremely addicting.
Grilled sweet potatoes have the perfect consistency. By hard boiling the sweet potatoes first, they come out super soft and moist on the inside. Next they’re coated in olive oil and seasoning then grilled over super high heat so the outside edges are crispy. Soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. Now that’s what I call the perfect grilled sweet potato.
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes
Here’s the step-by-step process to grilling perfectly soft sweet potatoes with a totally amazing chipotle lime dipping sauce. They’ll come out incredibly tender and make a great side dish for your BBQ.
- Boil the sweet potatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil the sweet potatoes in the water for 12-15 minutes.
- Preheat your grill. Preheat your favorite grill to High heat (450 degrees F).
- Make the chipotle dipping sauce. Puree the mayonnaise, adobo sauce, chipotle pepper, and lime juice in a blender jar or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Prep your potatoes. Remove the sweet potatoes from the boiling water and slice them into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place the slices on a large baking sheet. Brush them with olive oil and season with Hey Grill Hey Chicken Seasoning (or you can stick with salt and pepper).
- Grill the sweet potatoes. Place the sweet potato slices directly on the grill grates. Close the lid on the grill and grill them for 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until they are tender.
- Serve warm. Remove sweet potatoes from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Serve immediately with the chipotle lime dipping sauce.
How Long to Grill Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes only take 3-5 minutes per side, or 6-10 minutes total to grill. Add in 15 minutes for them to boil and a few minutes of prep time, and you’re looking at a delicious side of buttery soft and perfectly seasoned sweet potatoes ready in 30 minutes or less. I love having some sweet potatoes in the fridge for those busy nights when I want a tasty side but I don’t have a lot of time to spend prepping and cooking.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet potatoes are an excellent side dish when you’re looking for something sweet and savory. Check out more of my sweet potato recipes below:
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
Making dinner for your family should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Signature Chicken Seasoning
Chipotle Lime Dipping Sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers
- juice of 1 lime
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place the sweet potatoes gently in the water. Boil for approximately 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the potatoes.
- Preheat your grill while your potatoes are boil to High heat (450 degrees F).
- While the sweet potatoes are boiling, in a blender jar or food processor, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and lime juice. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the water and set them on a cutting board. Slice them into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place the potato slices on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and brush with a basting brush to ensure the potatoes are evenly coated on all sides. Season on all sides with Hey Grill Hey Signature Chicken Seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Place sweet potato rounds directly on the grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip, close the lid, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the potatoes have nice char marks and they are nice and tender.
- Serve immediately with the chipotle lime dipping sauce.