posted May 24, 2021
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Honey Mustard
Sweet potato fries are a delectable side and make the perfect party food. This recipe combines a simple process for grilling the sweet potato wedges and serving them with an awesome honey mustard dip to satisfy all your friends and family.
Can You Grill Sweet Potato Fries?
Much like regular potatoes, sweet potatoes make awesome fries. They grill up like a charm and are full of all sorts of good flavor. I like to mix things up on occasion and throw in some sweet potato fries in place of regular russets every once in a while to keep dinner exciting. And these sweet potato fries are great as a side dish as well as an afternoon snack.
Sweet potato fries are also easy to prep and grill. Pre-cook the sweet potatoes until just tender, then slice and set aside until you are ready to grill. After that, it only takes 3-4 minutes to get a caramelized, crispy exterior on the fries. Once cooked, they are ready to pile on a platter and serve hot with some tasty dipping sauce.
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries
Sides may not be the most shared recipes ever, but side dishes truly make or break a meal for me. I can have the best steak ever, but if there isn’t anything yummy to nibble in between bites of meat, then what’s the point?
These grilled sweet potato fries are the perfect addition to any main course you’ve got going on. They also make bomb appetizers/finger foods for a party, weekend campout, or summer BBQ. Also, this recipe only contains 5 ingredients, people. It’s dang simple and dang delicious, so get after it!
Bonus tip: This method works amazingly well with good old russet potatoes as well. Sometimes I like to do both russets and sweet potatoes so my guests can choose their own adventure. Some people prefer the regular potato fries and some, grilled sweet potato fries. Me? I love both. I’ll grab one (or 5) of each kind and go to town.
Dip for Sweet Potato Fries
While good old sweet potato fries are delicious on their own, I like to jazz my BBQ up a bit with an awesome dip. Honey and mustard compliment the fries beautifully and enhance the sweet flavor of the fries without overpowering them.
Drizzle with a savory and sweet honey mustard sauce to balance everything out, and you’re ready to rock your party.
How to Grill Sweet Potato Fries
If sweet potato fries sound like too much work for you, don’t fear! They may require an extra step or two, but they’re well worth it. They’re also good for you, too! Skip the fries cooked in oil, and opt for a healthier option in these guys!
- Boil. Boil the unpeeled sweet potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Season. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into spears (the perfect serving size!). Season with oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill. With your preferred grill (gas or charcoal work equally well for these) preheated to 400 degrees F, grill the fries for 3 minutes, then flip and grill for another 3 minutes.
- Sauce and Serve. These fries are best if served immediately while they are nice and warm. You can drizzle them with honey mustard sauce or serve the sauce on the side. I also like to garnish mine with a little chopped parsley. It adds some good flavor while making them look oh-so fancy.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Fan of sweet potatoes, are ya? Then you’ve got to try out these other delicious sweet potato recipes from Hey Grill Hey!
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
So there you have it! Grilled sweet potato fries ready and waiting for you. Make sure you come back and leave a comment after you grill your own. I love hearing how others are making good BBQ in their own backyard!
Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Honey Mustard
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Boil the sweet potatoes. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Gently drop the whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes in the boiling water and cook for 20 minutes until just fork tender. Remove from the water and allow to cool until you're able to handle them.
- Make the sauce. While your potatoes are cooling, prepare your honey mustard dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine the honey and mustard with a spoon. Set aside until your fries are done.
- Prep the potatoes. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into 8 slices per potato. Use a basting brush to coat each slice with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill. When you're ready to grill, start the fire and preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F).
- Grill the sweet potato fries. Place your sweet potatoes cut side down on the hot grill and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip to the other cut side and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes. Tongs are likely the easiest way to flip the fries, but if your sweet potatoes are sticking at all, try a metal spatula.
- Serve immediately. Transfer your finished fries to a serving platter, drizzle with the honey mustard sauce, and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve warm.
**This post was originally published in February 2016. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad