This Smoked Italian Sausage Lasagna recipe is sponsored by Premio Foods.
Lasagna is definitely one of those comfort food classics that always sounds good and never gets old. The only problem is that it’s always been prepared and cooked in kind of the same way. One of my favorite things to do here at Hey Grill, Hey is take these classic recipes and re-invent them to incorporate a smoky, wood fired element for an updated and tasty twist.
That’s exactly the course I took with this Smoked Italian Sausage Lasagna. I keep many of the traditional elements the same: wide noodles, tangy red sauce, creamy ricotta cheese, and fresh herbs. Then, I add in some flavor by slow smoking Premio’s Sweet Italian sausages before layering them into the lasagna. Top the whole thing off with loads of cheese and back to the smoker to bake. This step doesn’t add a ton of smoke flavor as the temperature is higher, but it adds in just enough of that “cooked outside” element to make every bite irresistible.
The best part about this smoked Italian sausage lasagna is how adaptable it is for your family. If you like a little more heat, simply swap out the sweet Italian sausages for hot Italian sausages. If you like cottage cheese instead of ricotta, just make a straight across trade (I’m looking at my in-laws here, they are cottage cheese fans all the way!) You can also use whatever type of marinara sauce you like, but if you’ve got the time and some tomatoes, may I recommend my Homemade Smoke Roasted Tomato Sauce? And finally, if you don’t have access to a smoker, you can simply char-grill the sausages on whatever type of grill you have to infuse the entire lasagna with a subtle smoky flavor and then bake in an oven.
However you end up adding your own twist to this recipe, I hope you enjoy! It will be a family classic for years to come.
Smoked Italian Sausage Lasagna
- 1 16 oz package Premio Sweet Italian Sausages
- 1/2 1 pound box lasagna noodles (classic, not "oven ready")
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 4 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil (thinly sliced)
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F. Place the Premio sweet Italian sausages on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature reads 145 degrees F, approximately 1 hour. Remove the sausages from the grill and slice. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and carefully submerge your lasagna sheets. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until pliable, but not completely softened. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Set aside.
- Increase the heat on your smoker to 350 degrees F. Begin assembling your lasagna. In a 9x13 pan, spread a tablespoon of the marinara sauce all across the bottom. Set in a layer of the cooked lasagna noodles, not overlapping. Spread the top of the noodles with one-third of the ricotta mixture. Place a layer of one-third of the sliced Italian sausage on the ricotta mixture, and then top with one-third of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers of pasta, ricotta, sausage, marinara, and cheese two more times. On the top layer, after you have finished with the mozzarella, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the lasagna in the smoker and bake for 1 hour, or until the lasagna is bubbly and the cheese is completely melted. Sprinkle the top with the fresh sliced basil and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!