posted December 01, 2020
Smoked Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
This Smoked Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese is the ultimate mac and cheese when you need something delicious AND filling. You can’t go wrong with a creamy, gooey mac and cheese topped with delicious pulled pork.
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
I’m a sucker for a big bowl of mac and cheese just about anytime, anywhere. Whether it’s the middle of summer or the dead of winter, mac and cheese is always a good idea. And this recipe? It’s simply INSPIRED.
Mac and cheese is no longer a side dish with the addition of pulled pork. A heaping of pulled pork on top of mac and cheese makes this dish a full meal in a cast iron skillet. Another bonus of this? It’s a complete meal cooked and served in one skillet. No need to dirty up a bunch of dishes for this guy, Start-to-finish, all you need is a large cast iron skillet, and you’re set.
Leftover BBQ Mac and Cheese
If you’ve ever been wondering what to do with all that leftover meat that accumulates in your fridge, this mac and cheese is for you! We always have lots of leftover pulled pork hanging around a day or two after the big smoke, and adding it to some mac and cheese makes for the most amazing meal.
Just beware: My recipe below makes a lot of food. You might want to dive into this with an empty stomach and hearty appetite to make a dent. Either that, or be sure to share it with friends or neighbors. Who can resist a homemade bowl of macaroni and cheese? It’s like asking someone if they don’t like warm, cheesy happiness.
Tips for Making Smoked Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
When it comes to a foolproof meal, this pulled pork mac and cheese is as easy as they come. You honestly can’t go wrong with any changes or modifications you make to this recipe. Here’s a few suggestions to try to make it your own.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
BBQ Mac and Cheese is a total comfort food. By adding some extra toppings or using a variety of cheeses, you can make a mac perfect for everyone in your family. Check out these favorite mac and cheese recipes from Hey Grill Hey below:
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese Recipe
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound smoked pulled pork (leftover pulled pork works great for this recipe)
- 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon Signature Beef Seasoning (or equal parts salt and pepper)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 6 ounces gouda cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons green onions (minced, optional)
- ¼ cup Everything BBQ sauce (optional)
- Cook the macaroni. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente, meaning they still have a bit of chew and texture (not too soft).
- Preheat the smoker and heat the meat. Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F using a mild hardwood. My favorite is cherry or apple. Place your pulled pork in an aluminum pan and place on the smoker to reheat while you prepare your mac and cheese.
- Make a roux. Heat a 14-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
- Make the cheese sauce. Carefully pour in the half and half and milk and bring up to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Next, add in the Beef Seasoning. Finally, whisk in the cheddar cheese and gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce.
- Assemble the pulled pork mac and cheese. Remove the pulled pork from the smoker and add it to the top of the mac and cheese. If desired, drizzle the top of the pork with your favorite BBQ sauce and sprinkle with green onions.
- Serve immediately. Serve your mac and cheese while it is still warm and the cheese is nice and melty!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!