Simple grilled chicken is a classic for a weeknight dinner, but let’s face it… it gets old and boring super quick. One standard fall back is to smother it all in some sugar sweet marinade or sauce to up the yum factor, but since The Todd is passing on sugar these days I had to get a little more creative.
We’ve got a plethora of fresh garden tomatoes around this time of year (and by we, I obviously mean my generous neighbors because I am the worst gardener ever. Ever.) One of my favorite snacks to whip up is a batch of crispy bruschetta with balsamic marinated tomatoes. I make a double batch. The first batch I eat in it’s entirety while preparing dinner, and the second I use to top this grilled chicken for dinner, which I then also eat in it’s entirety. I might have a satiety problem when it comes to these marinated tomatoes.
For a simple and fresh dinner on the table in under 30 minutes, this one really can’t be beat. Tender grilled chicken with balsamic marinated tomatoes and melty smoked mozzarella is served on a bed of whole wheat spaghetti with cracked black pepper and freshly shaved Parmesan for a meal the whole family can get into… Exhibit A below. Hope you enjoy it as much as my Little B Man did!
Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Marinated Tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 fresh ripe tomatoes diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp basil leaves rolled and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 oz smoked mozzarella sliced
- Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- Prepare your grill by spraying the grates with non-stick spray and turning the temperature setting up to medium high. Close the lid and allow the grill to preheat to about 400-425 degrees.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper. Place on the grill grates and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning once, until an internal thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- Once the chicken is up to temperature, top each with 2 slices of the smoked mozzarella and a spoonful of the marinated tomatoes. Close the lid and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the grilled chicken on a bed of spaghetti with the extra marinated tomatoes and a shaving of fresh Parmesan cheese.