posted March 23, 2020
Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu
This Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu is an excellent, easy dinner option when you want some comfort food, but you’re short on time. It’s made with a creamy Dijon mustard sauce that is completely irresistible and lick-your-fingers good.
Can You Grill Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Yes you can! It’s amazing how many things can be cooked on the grill. If you can cook it in an oven, you can likely cook it on your grill. You also get some added flavor when you grill this chicken cordon bleu over an open flame and charcoal (yum!).
If you’d rather cook this chicken in your oven you can follow the instructions in the recipe card below as written and just place the chicken in your oven instead of the grill. Make sure to keep track of internal temperature as you go!
Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu
This grilled chicken cordon blue is everything you want in a good dinner. It’s salty, cheesy, and oh-so juicy. Chicken cordon bleu is often available in the frozen aisle of your local grocery store, as well as in large boxes at Costco. While these boxed portions are extremely convenient, they won’t give you the fresh flavor of making it yourself.
Chicken cordon bleu gives me a family meal comfort food feeling, and it’s perfect for any day of the week. Personally, I love eating chicken cordon bleu on Sunday evenings. It’s a nice way to finish out the weekend before diving into the workweek the next day.
Some quick notes on this recipe: Make sure you splurge and get good ham and Swiss cheese for this recipe. Fresh, high-quality ingredients will make all the difference.
How to Cook Chicken Cordon Bleu on the Grill
Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your grill. Turn on your gas or charcoal grill and get the heat going steady at 375 degrees F.
- Prep the chicken. Make sure you have a sharp knife on hand for this step. Begin by cutting a pocket into each chicken breast (see the picture above). On a separate cutting board, lay out 4 slices of ham and place a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each ham slice. Lightly roll the ham and cheese. Stuff the chicken pocket with the ham and cheese roll, and secure the chicken with toothpicks. Season the entire outside of the chicken with my Award-Winning Chicken Seasoning. If you don’t have access to this chicken seasoning, you can make your own tasty seasoning using my recipe for Lemon Herb Chicken Seasoning.
- Cook the chicken cordon bleu. Place the stuffed chicken cordon bleu on the grill, close the lid, and grill for 15-18 minutes per side. Flip once while cooking and monitor temperature. Continue to cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Make the creamy Dijon sauce. While the chicken is cooking, combine all ingredients for the Dijon mustard cream sauce in a small bowl. Stir well to mix. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Rest, serve, sauce, and enjoy! Once your chicken has reached 165 degrees F, remove it from the grill and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Drizzle with Dijon sauce (or serve on the side), and enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Sauce
Now, I’m assuming this is a weird Utah sauce thing (we have quite a few interesting sauces native to Utah alone), but as I was making this sauce for the chicken, I found that no where else made a sauce like this. Traditional cordon bleu sauce is a creamy cheese-based sauce. I like thinking outside the box, so today’s sauce is a tangy and exciting Dijon mustard sauce.
Whenever my family made chicken cordon bleu growing up, this was the type of sauce we used. Trust me when I say it’s the absolute best. It’s not too strong, so you can add as much or as little sauce to the chicken as you want without overpowering the meal.
If I were to compare this sauce to another popular BBQ sauce, I’d liken it to my Alabama White Sauce. This sauce is already perfect for chicken, so you can rest assured my Dijon cream sauce is a true winner.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Chicken is one of the easiest recipes to make on the grill. Check out more popular grilled chicken recipes from Hey Grill Hey below!
Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 slices thick cut deli ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Award Winning Chicken Seasoning
Dijon Cream Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch salt (to taste)
- pinch black pepper (to taste)
- Turn on the grill. Preheat your grill to 375 degrees F.
- Stuff the chicken. Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Lay out 4 ham slices and place a cheese slice on top of each ham slice. Roll the ham and the cheese. Stuff each chicken breast with the rolled ham and cheese. Secure the opening with toothpicks.
- Prep the chicken. Season both sides of each chicken breast with Award-Winning Chicken Seasoning.
- Grill the chicken. Place the chicken cordon bleu directly on the grill grates and grill for 15-18 minutes per side flipping once while cooking. Remove when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Make the Dijon cordon bleu sauce. Combine all ingredients for the cream sauce in a small bowl. Stir well to mix. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Rest and serve. Remove the chicken cordon bleu from the grill. Rest the chicken for 10 minutes and serve with Dijon cream sauce on the side.
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!