These Grilled Chicken Wings are the ultimate game day snack. With football season in full swing, you’ll want to have a platter of these chicken wings on hand for at-home watch parties and tailgating celebrations. When I’m looking to feed a crowd, these grilled chicken wings (with 3 different wing sauces) are quick and easy and tasty mmm mmm good!
This post is sponsored by The Home Depot to help you prep for a season full of good food with family and friends.
Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a must-have for just about any social gathering. I personally cannot tailgate or watch sports without a big plate of crispy grilled chicken wings on hand. There are a lot of tips and tricks to getting crispy wings, but my biggest tip is consistent temperatures and regular flipping.
I’m cooking these wings on my Weber Genesis II from Home Depot. This grill has 669 square inches of grill space and provides perfectly even heat across the grates with 39,000 BTU heat output. This grill could easily handle 10 pounds of chicken wings at once (that’s a lot of wings!!) and hold temps at the perfect 425 degrees F.
Chicken Wing Sauce
This recipe includes not one, but THREE amazing chicken wing sauces. I like to have all three available when making chicken wings because they provide something for everyone. Spicy, smooth, and sweet are great ways to go when making a chicken wing sauce.
- Creamy Buffalo Sauce. This sauce is perfect when you want a good Buffalo kick on your wings. Buffalo sauce and chicken wings are the perfect duo, and are a must-have on my platter.
- Garlic Parmesan Sauce. For a smooth option, go with this garlic Parmesan sauce. It’s a family favorite and provides a nice, cool wing sauce. No heat, but tons of flavor!
- Honey BBQ Sauce. Last up, you can pull up the recipe for my Honey BBQ Sauce on this site for an ooey, gooey, sticky and sweet wing sauce. It’s a kid-friendly sauce that is great for the whole family.
Another perk of serving your sauces on the side is that your wings stay crispy longer. If you fully toss your wings in sauce, the skin will most definitely start to soften. Keep that crispy skin as long as you can by serving your sauces on the side.
How to Grill Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a breeze to grill. I prefer to make my chicken wing sauce beforehand to have it ready to go as soon as my wings come off the grill.
Here’s some important takeaway points for grilling chicken wings:
- Make sure your grill is fully preheated to 425 degrees F prior to cooking your chicken wings.
- Before seasoning your wing, pat them dry with a paper towel and spray with a high heat cooking oil (my favorite is avocado).
- Flip the wings every 3-5 minutes while they are on the grill to prevent burning and to evenly crisp the skin.
- Use a meat thermometer to grill your chicken wings until they reach an internal temperature of 170-175 degrees. This is fall-off-the-bone temp and you’ll love the tender chicken meat on these wings.
How Long to Grill Chicken Wings
It takes approximately 25-30 minutes to grill chicken wings. Make sure you are flipping the wings every few minutes to ensure they are cooked evenly through and the skin cooks evenly as well.
I like to grill chicken wings to 170-175 degrees F. While this is a higher temperature for thicken than the FDA recommend 165, I prefer the texture of wings cooked a little bit hotter. This higher internal temperature on wings allows the meat to pull away from the bone easily and still taste delicious.
More Chicken Wings Recipes
Oh, chicken wings. How you delight me! I’ll eat you in just about any way I can. Whether smoked, fried, or brined, Hey Grill Hey has a collection of amazing smoked or grilled chicken wings recipes to keep you satisfied.
Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
Making good food for a celebration should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making delicious weekday meals. Check it out today!
Grilled Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings flats and drumettes
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Creamy Buffalo Sauce
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce (Franks RedHot is my favorite)
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 3 Tablespoons ground Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely minced
Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your grill to 425 degrees F.
- Make the wing sauces. For the Buffalo Sauce: combine the Buffalo sauce and ranch dressing in a small bowl. Stir to combine. For the Garlic Parmesan Sauce: combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Serve warm.For the Honey BBQ Sauce: Combine all ingredients for Honey BBQ Sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and serve warm.
- Pat the wings dry and spray or drizzle the chicken wings with avocado oil and then season on all sides with the salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken wings directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and grill them for 15-20 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes to prevent burning and to crisp the skin.
- Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170-175 degrees F (this is a high temp for chicken, but it helps give you a clean, pull-off-the-bone bite).
- Remove the wings from the grill. Toss in the sauce, dip, or drizzle the sauce on the top.