Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip is always the most popular appetizer at any party.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
The thing that sets this Buffalo chicken dip above all others is the method. Most dips have you stir every single ingredient together and then bake. I found the best way to assemble the dip for maximum flavor and cheese stretchability is to build layers of flavor! Seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, and mounds of melty pepper jack on the bottom layer cool off the top layer of Buffalo sauce spiked smoked chicken and crumbled blue cheese and the whole thing is topped with fresh red onions and cilantro. Every bite is the perfect blend of creamy, cheesy, spicy, and smoky. There’s no better buffalo chicken dip out there!
The second key to the best ever smoked Buffalo chicken dip is the ingredients, the most important being the smoked chicken! I smoked my chicken using THIS METHOD (but skipping the sauce step at the end) because if you’re here on my website you probably know that I prefer that everything is just a little smoky!
Third has to be the sauce. Buffalo sauce is a major extra key ingredient in this recipe. I say that if it’s buffalo sauce, it’s gotta be Frank’s. There are two different varieties of Frank’s sauce in the grocery store.. Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne pepper sauce and Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing style sauce. I’ve used both and either one work great on wings, but for this dip the Buffalo wing style sauce works best and gives you the most Buffalo-y (that’s a word now) flavor.
Finally, your seasoning. Most Buffalo chicken dip recipes call for ranch powder packets or even ranch dressing to season the mix. While a packet seasoning works just fine in this recipe, if you really want it to pop you have got to try making my Homemade Veggie Shake. It has all the key components of powdered ranch seasoning, but it’s a little punchier and more flavorful. Definitely worth the extra minute to make your own and if you double the recipe, you’ll have lots extra for next time!
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 16 oz pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Veggie Shake (link in recipe notes)
- 2 cups shredded smoked chicken
- 1 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon red onion (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro (roughly chopped)
- Preheat your grill or oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, pepper jack cheese and Veggie Shake. Stir with a spoon until everything is incorporated. Use the spoon to spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a separate bowl combine the shredded smoked chicken and Buffalo sauce. Pour this over the cream cheese mixture in the skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese on top of the Buffalo chicken mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until the dip is bubbling around the edges and the blue cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle the dip with the minced red onion and the chopped cilantro. Serve straight from the cast iron skillet to keep the dip warm. Perfect when served with celery sticks, tortilla chips, thin sliced baguettes, or crackers. Enjoy!!