posted February 01, 2021
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip is always the most popular appetizer at any party. The combo of Buffalo smothered smoked chicken, creamy cheese sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and onions and cilantro make this a dip that puts all other appetizers to shame.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
The thing that sets this Buffalo chicken dip above all others is the method. Most dips have you stir every single ingredient together and then bake. I found the best way to assemble the dip for maximum flavor and cheese stretchability is to build layers of flavor!
Seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, and mounds of melty pepper jack on the bottom layer cool off the top layer of Buffalo sauce spiked smoked chicken and crumbled blue cheese, and the whole thing is topped with fresh red onions and cilantro.
Every bite is the perfect blend of creamy, cheesy, spicy, and smoky. There’s no better buffalo chicken dip out there!
Ingredients for Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
The second key to the best ever smoked Buffalo chicken dip is the ingredients, the most important being the smoked chicken! I smoked my chicken using this method for Smoked Chicken (but skipping the sauce step at the end) because if you’re here on my website you probably know that I prefer everything just a little smoky!
Most Buffalo chicken dip recipes call for ranch powder packets or even ranch dressing to season the mix. While a packet seasoning works just fine in this recipe, if you really want it to pop you’ve got to try my Homemade Veggie Shake. It has all the key components of powdered ranch seasoning, but it’s a little punchier and more flavorful. It’s definitely worth the extra minute to make your own.
Quick tip: If you double the recipe for the Veggie Shake, you’ll have lots extra for next time! Simply store the excess in a glass spice jar or any other airtight container and you’re good to go!
Frank’s Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo sauce is a major extra key ingredient in this recipe. I say that if you’re using any Buffalo sauce, it’s gotta be Frank’s. There are two different varieties of Frank’s sauce in the grocery store: Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce and Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing Style Sauce.
I’ve used both and either one work great on wings, but for this dip the Buffalo wing style sauce works best and gives you the most Buffalo-y (that’s officially a word now) flavor. But by all means, use your favorite Buffalo sauce or whatever you have on hand. No hard feelings here.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Here’s how to make the most amazing (and easy!) Buffalo chicken dip around:
- Layer 1: Cheesy Base. To begin making this Buffalo chicken dip, mix together all the cheeses! Mix Cream cheese, sour cream, and pepper jack together with some Veggie Shake (or a packet of ranch seasoning). Evenly spread this on the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Layer 2: Buffalo Chicken. Next up, combine your favorite Buffalo sauce with the smoked chicken to evenly coat the shredded chicken. Spread this layer evenly over the cheesy base.
- Layer 3: Blue Cheese. Top the Buffalo chicken with a nice layer of crumbled blue cheese. Place the skillet in the smoker and bake for around 15 minutes or until everything is nice and melted and the cheese is bubbling.
- Layer 4: Onions and Cilantro. Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with onions and cilantro.
It’s best to serve this dip while it still hot so the cheese pulls out of the skillet easily. Plus, who can resist the ooey gooey cheese in a hot dip? I like to enjoy this with a variety of items. Veggies, chips, crostini, crackers, they’re all amazing.
More Buffalo Sauce Recipes
Fancy yourself a Buffalo fan? Me too! I love Buffalo sauce so much, I’ll stick in on just about anything. Check out some of my favorite Buffalo recipes below!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded smoked chicken
- 1 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 16 ounces pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Veggie Shake (link in recipe notes)
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon red onion (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro (roughly chopped)
- Preheat the smoker. Preheat your smoker (or oven) to 350 degrees F.
- Make the cheese mixture. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, pepper jack cheese and Veggie Shake. Stir with a spoon until everything is incorporated. Use the spoon to spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of a 9 or 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Make the Buffalo chicken. In a separate bowl combine the shredded smoked chicken and Buffalo sauce. Pour this over the cream cheese mixture in the skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese on top of the Buffalo chicken mixture.
- Smoke the Buffalo chicken dip. Place the Buffalo chicken dip in the preheated smoker or oven and close the lid. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the dip is bubbling around the edges and the blue cheese has melted.
- Add toppings and serve immediately. Sprinkle the dip with the minced red onion and the chopped cilantro. Serve straight from the cast iron skillet to keep the dip warm. This dip is delicious when served with celery sticks, tortilla chips, thin sliced baguettes, or crackers. Enjoy!
**This post was originally published in January 2018. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!