These Grilled Buffalo Chicken Skewers are tender bites of perfectly seasoned chicken, roasted peppers, and onions all smothered in a tasty Buffalo sauce. Buffalo chicken is everyone’s favorite, and these skewers come together in a cinch!
Buffalo Chicken Skewers
If you know me well, you know I am a huge fan of finger foods. BBQ is about getting your hands a little dirty and then licking off all of the goodness that is left when the meat is gone, right? This recipe for Buffalo chicken skewers is one of those messy meals that is finger-licking good! It’s totally tasty with the perfect amount of heat.
Tender, seasoned chicken breast is skewered with bell peppers and onions then lightly seasoned with my Chicken Seasoning and basted with buttery Buffalo sauce. It makes for an ultra flavorful, super simple meal that is ready in a snap. Serve with a side of red beans and rice and a crisp salad for a Cajun/Buffalo fusion meal that will knock your socks off!
Buffalo Chicken Skewers on the Grill
Grilled Buffalo chicken is always perfect for big groups. These skewers can be assembled and seasoned ahead of time, then when guests start arriving toss them on the hot grill. Skewers cook quickly since everything is diced into smaller pieces, and they will be ready by the time your guests are hungry.
To help temper the spice on these chicken skewers, serve with ranch dressing for dipping. We all know how well ranch and Buffalo sauce go together. These are also perfect for tailgaiting, or when you are assigned an appetizer at a pot luck. Bring these and steal the show. Trust me when I say everyone will be talking about your dish!
Bonus: Grilled Buffalo chicken skewers make ridiculously delicious leftovers. Wrap a few in foil and reheat on the grill for a few minutes per side and they taste just like the day you made them.
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Skewers
These skewers only require 7 ingredients and don’t take too much effort to prepare. For a full, printable recipe card, scroll below.
- Chicken breasts. Make sure these are boneless and skinless. Dice two of them into 1-inch cubes.
Next, dice one of each of the following into 1-inch pieces. Take care to slice the pieces the same size so they all cook evenly on your grill.
- Red bell pepper.
- Yellow bell pepper.
- Yellow onion.
Finally, snag some of the following to season and baste your kabobs:
- Award-Winning Chicken Seasoning. If you want to decrease the heat on these skewers (or if you don’t have any Chicken Seasoning from Patio Provisions), my recipe for the Best Sweet Rub will taste great on these as well.
- Buffalo sauce. I recommend Frank’s Buffalo sauce all the way! It has the best flavor, and tastes completely amazing on these skewers. But, as always, use your favorite!
- Butter. When you mix a little melted butter with the Buffalo sauce, it makes it extra tasty and perfect for basting.
Side note: if you are whipping up these kabobs for a party (maybe like a Super Bowl party or something) skip the pepper and onions and double up on chicken for the ultimate boneless skinless Buffalo chicken skewer!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Skewers
These chicken skewers are so darn easy to assemble and cook. Skewers and kabobs are are big winner in my book because of how quickly they cook up. Simply follow these simple steps for the perfect Buffalo chicken skewers.
- Prep the skewers and grill. If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 2 hours prior to adding your veggies (metal skewers are ready to go when you are). Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (425-450 degrees F).
- Assemble the kabobs. Slice all your veggies into 1-inch pieces. Alternating adding the chicken, peppers, and onions to your skewers, and season with the Chicken Seasoning or Sweet Rub.
- Grill! Place the skewers directly on the grill grates of your preheated grill, and cook them for 6-8 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Make the Buffalo sauce. Combine the Buffalo sauce and butter on the stove top over medium heat until thoroughly combined. Baste the kabobs liberally with the sauce and cook for a few more minutes until your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. A great way to make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through is to use a good thermometer. I always recommend the Thermapen from ThermoWorks.
- Serve hot. Remove the Buffalo chicken skewers from the grill and serve hot with a side of ranch dressing for the ultimate meal.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Maybe I’m a bit biased, but chicken smothered in Buffalo sauce is one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. I’ve come up with quite a few tasty ways to enjoy Buffalo chicken over the years, so check out a few favorites below!
Buffalo Chicken Skewers Recipe
Follow the recipe, and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own Buffalo chicken skewers at home. If you’re looking for the ultimate way to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero, join my members-only group The Grill Squad for full access to all my meat, rubs, sauces, and meat buying masterclasses, podcasts, and so much more.
Making dinner for your family should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Skewers
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 small yellow onion (diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Seasoning
- ½ cup Frank's Buffalo sauce
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- Soak the skewers. Before making the kabobs, allow your bamboo skewers to soak in water for 2 hours. This will help them not to burn on the hot grill. If you are using metal skewers, skip this step!
- Preheat the grill. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (around 425-450 degrees F).
- Prepare the skewers. Alternate adding chicken, peppers, and onions on your skewers. After all of the ingredients have been placed on the skewers, season with the Chicken Seasoning (You can also make a batch of my Sweet Rub if you don't have any Chicken Seasoning on hand).
- Grill the kabobs. Place your skewers on the grill and allow them to cook on one side for 6-8 minutes. Flip once and continue cooking on the other side for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Make the buffalo sauce. While the kebabs cook, heat the Buffalo sauce and salted butter over medium heat on your stove top. Stir well to combine. Take the Buffalo sauce mixture out to the grill and baste each kebab liberally.
- Baste the chicken skewers with Buffalo sauce. Take the Buffalo sauce and butter mixture out to the grill and baste each kabob liberally. Cook for an additional few minutes until the Buffalo sauce has set and the internal temperature of your kebabs reads 165 degrees F.
- Serve the grilled Buffalo chicken skewers. Remove from the grill and serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
**This post was originally published in May 2015. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.