Summer is upon us and in my neck of the woods that means zucchini season is imminent. My mom grows zucchini, my in-laws grow zucchini, my neighbors grow zucchini. Essentially, I live in zucchini paradise. When you are exposed to so much of this plentiful (albeit, slightly bland) vegetable, you start creating ways to eat it up in a hurry. This recipe comes just in time to cure your summer zucchini woes in a way that is both flavorful and fast. My Simple Grilled Zucchini has only 4 ingredients that you are almost guaranteed to have on hand.
A simple marinade gives this zucchini an amazing dose of zing, and it also helps to create the perfect tender crisp texture! If you’ve ever just thrown zucchini on the grill, you might notice it gets soggy instead of crispy like most grilled veggies. This is because the water content in zucchini is so high. The salt in the marinade helps to draw out some of the extra liquid before grilling to help the zucchini cook perfectly instead of turning to mush. These yummy morsels are a great side dish for The Perfect Steak or even Smoky Turkey Sloppy Joes!PRO TIP: this side is a dish best served hot and fast. It’s not one that transports or stores well. I plan on pulling them off the grill moments before it is time to eat. They tend to get soft as they sit. IF you manage to have leftovers, you don’t have to throw them out! Dice them up the next morning and throw them in an omelet or a frittata. YUM!
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar salad dressing
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry. Slice in half, width-wise, and then cut each half into quarters.
- Place zucchini and balsamic vinegar dressing in a gallon zip top bag. Toss to evenly coat every piece. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat your grill for direct grilling over high heat. Place the zucchini on the grill, flesh side down. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Grill for 2 minutes per side, or until the flesh is slightly charred and the zucchini is crisp-tender.
- Remove to a platter and serve immediately.