These Grilled Brussels Sprouts are a delicious (and nutritious!) way to enjoy your greens. For this recipe I take Brussels sprouts, wrap them in foil, and cook them with bacon to ensure they come out tasting delicious and perfectly cooked.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Let’s take a moment to end the stigma about Brussels sprouts, shall we? Unlike what you may have been told when you were 6 years old, Brussels sprouts are not gross or icky. They are delicious, crunchy, and quite possibly one of my favorite vegetables. And when you grill them up with bacon and some of my Best Sweet Rub? Oh man, are you in for a treat!
Grilling or roasting Brussels sprouts is a fantastic way to enhance their flavor. They come out with a gorgeous bit of char, but they still retain their crunch. My secret to cooking the best Brussels sprouts? Grilling them in foil with bacon! Everything is better with bacon, in my opinion, and the bacon adds in some much-needed fat to the mix (remember fat = flavor). I like to eat a bite of grilled Brussels sprout with a chopped piece of bacon for the ultimate veggie flavor blast experience.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts in Foil
These Brussels sprouts are grilled in a foil packet. This is the key element to helping your sprouts cook well and taste amazing. By grilling them in foil they are able to steam a bit, and it allows them to cook in the rendered bacon fat – making them extremely delicious!
Cooking them in foil ensures you still get access to the heat of the grill, allowing for those coveted grill marks, but you don’t have to worry about losing any sprouts between the grates. It’s a total win-win, and helps ensure that your Brussels sprouts turn out great every time.
If you like a crunchier sprout and crispy bacon, poke a few holes in your foil pouch. This lets the moisture and steam from the Brussels sprouts drip away or evaporate instead of pooling in the pouch. If you like your sprouts and bacon soft, completely seal the foil pouch and skip the step for poking holes in the foil.
How to Grill Brussels Sprouts
Here’s how I grill up these delicious Brussels sprouts. They’ll be ready in less than 45 minutes and you can easily cook them alongside other meat or veggies on the grill.
- Prep the Brussels sprouts. Remove the stems, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove any leaves or brown spots from the sprouts. Place them in a large baking sheet, and drizzle them lightly with olive oil.
- Cook the bacon. Grill your bacon in a 12″ cast iron skillet for 3-5 minutes or until the fat is rendered and the edges of the bacon have begun to brown.
- Make the foil packet. Lay out a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Add the bacon and Brussels sprouts to the foil, sprinkle with Hey Grill Hey Signature Sweet Rub and create a tightly sealed packet (this is extremely important to ensure nothing leaks out while flipping the packet on the grill).
- Get to the grill! Preheat your grill (I like to use my Weber Genesis II) to Medium-High heat, or 375 degrees F. Grill the packet for 20-25 minutes, shaking the packet occasionally to distribute the sprouts and flipping the packet after 10 minutes.
- Season and serve. Add more Sweet Rub, or salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
I just love what the grill does to vegetables. And while you’re already cooking up hamburgers, steak, or chicken on the grill, why not toss on some tasty veggies to round out your meal? Try out some of these great grilled vegetable recipes to serve alongside your main course:
Grilled Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Follow the recipe below and let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- 1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts
- ½ pound bacon, (chopped)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Signature Sweet Rub
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Remove the stems from the Brussels sprouts. Cut them in half lengthwise, remove any any excess leaves or brown spots.
- Place the Brussels sprouts on a large baking sheet, and drizzle them lightly with olive oil to allow the rub to stick to them.
- Add chopped bacon to the baking pan, and sprinkle Brussels sprouts and bacon with Sweet Rub.
- Preheat grill to Medium-High heat (375 degrees F).
- Either on your grill or stove top, preheat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place your bacon in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the fat is rendered and the edges have started to turn golden brown and crisp.
- Lay out a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Transfer the Brussels sprouts and bacon to the foil. Create a packet by sealing the sides and top tightly. For crispy bacon and more firm sprouts, poke several holes on the top of the pouch with a fork.
- Place the foil packet on the grill and grill for 20-25 minutes. Use two tongs to shake the packet 2-3 times while grilling to mix the contents of the packet. Flip the packet after 10 minutes (this is where it's extremely important that you seal the packet well)!
- Remove the foil packet from the grill, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.