Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats are the zucchini craze you need to get behind! Tender summer zucchini is stuffed with cream cheese and Italian sausage, drizzled with pesto, and topped with loads of melty mozzarella. This simple, 5-ingredient recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and kills it as a main course, impresses as an appetizer, or plays the perfect starring role as a side dish. Honestly, I can’t think of a time that would be inappropriate to make and eat these. I even had some the next morning for breakfast.
To add to the timeliness of this recipe, today is actually National Zucchini Day!! Probably because if you or anybody you know has planted a zucchini plant, chances are you’ve got some on your counter right now. If you’re ready for some fresh inspiration to utilize that tasty vegetable, look no further! I’m sharing my recipe for these amazing Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats as well as loading you up with new ideas from some of my favorite food bloggers on the interwebs. From savory to sweat, healthy to indulgent, we’ve got a recipe for you!!
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 8 NEW ZUCCHINI RECIPES:
- Instant Pot Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread – 365 Days Slow Cooking
- Zucchini Fritters – The Baker Upstairs
- Loaded Zucchini Skins – Real Mom Kitchen
- Vegan Pad Thai Zoodles – Namely Marly
- Italian Chicken Sausage Zucchini Noodle One Pot Dish – Ashlee Marie
- Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Fries – Foodie with Family
- Butterscotch Zucchini Blondies – Creations by Kara
- Cheesy Zucchini Tots – Life Made Simple
LOVE MY CHEESY GRILLED ZUCCHINI BOATS? HERE ARE SOME MORE FANTASTIC ZUCCHINI RECIPES!
- Simple Grilled Zucchini – Hey Grill, Hey
- Mozzarella Parmesan Zucchini Bites – Creations by Kara
- Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Rolls – Real Mom Kitchen
- Garden Veggie Pizza – Life Made Simple
- Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie – Mom Loves Baking
- Parmesan Zucchini Crisps – Yellow Bliss Road
- Cheesy Zucchini Tortilla Lasagna – Foodtastic Mom
- Garden Skillet Supper – Southern Plate
- Mediterranean Zucchini Boats with Olives – The Stay at Home Chef
- Buttery Garlic Herb Chicken with Zucchini – The Recipe Critic
- Grilled Lemon Garlic Zucchini – Damn Delicious
- Grilled Garlic Zucchini – Natasha’s Kitchen
Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium green zucchini (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (sweet or hot, whichever you like)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 4 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your grill to High (400-450 degrees F). Place a 12 inch cast iron skillet on your grill and allow that to preheat as well.
- Cook the ground sausage in the skillet until golden brown. Drain off the rendered fat and then stir in the softened cream cheese until evenly incorporated with the sausage.
- Use a spoon to scrape out and discard the seeds and pulp from inside the zucchini to form the boat shape. Spoon the cream cheese sausage mixture into each of the zucchini boats. Spread about 1/2 Tablespoon of basil pesto on top of the sausage mixture in each boat. Sprinkle each boat with 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella.
- Place the stuffed zucchini boats onto the grill and close the lid. Grill for 4-5 minutes, then rotate the boats around the grill to avoid any hot spots. Close the lid and grill for 4-5 more minutes. You want the cheese to be melty and the zucchini to be tender-crisp. It should be softened, but still firm enough to remove from the grill to your serving tray without falling apart.
- Optional: top with chopped Italian parsley before serving.