This Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar and Sea Salt is a tangy, sweet treat that is great as a side or delicious on top of dessert, burgers, and more. Brushed with brown sugar and maple syrup then grilled to caramelized perfection, this is a recipe that is extremely versatile and sure to become a new favorite.
As an avid BBQer, I’m a believer in grilling all the things, fruit included. The char from the grill adds amazing depth and complexity to the fruit’s sweetness. Some of my favorite grilled fruits include peaches, bananas, plums, and nectarines. I even love making the occasional smoked apple pie. But by far, my family’s favorite grilled fruit is this grilled pineapple with brown sugar and maple. The way the sweet-tart flesh starts to release it’s juices during the grilling process is downright amazing.
For one last hit of flavor before serving, I always sprinkle a pinch of coarse sea salt over the grilled pineapple slices. Not only is it beautiful and and interesting texture enhancement, it also complements the sweet and tangy pineapple in a magical way.
Grilled Pineapple Slices
Grilled pineapple can be tackled in a variety of ways, but my favorite is to trim the skin and slice rings about 3/4 inch thick. This allows each serving to have access to as much direct heat as possible (opposed to grilling the pineapple whole.)
To take the flavors to another level, I brush each slice with a mixture of brown sugar and maple syrup. The sugar caramelizes just as the pineapple is heated through and the little hit of extra sweetness makes this perfect for a warm dessert. Just add coconut ice cream and you’re in a island flavor paradise!
How to Grill Pineapple
Here’s how to get your fresh, sweet pineapple beautifully grilled every time:
- Heat your grill. Preheat your grill (I used my Weber Genesis II) to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the sweet stuff. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Prep the pineapple. Slice the pineapple into 3/4 inch thick slices. Spread the brown sugar and maple syrup mixture on both sides of pineapple slice.
- Get grilling. Place pineapples on the grill grates and cook for 4-8 minutes per side, depending on how cooked you want your pineapple.
- Salt and serve. Transfer grilled pineapple to a serving platter and lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Serve as a side, dessert, or on top of a tasty cheeseburger.
Tips for Grilling the Best Pineapple
Before jumping into this delicious recipes, take note of these tips for grilling the most flavorful, juicy pineapple ever:
- Keep the temp down. Don’t crank your grill too high before putting your pineapple on. If it is too hot, you will burn the sugar in your glaze before cooking the pineapple. Keep the gill set at about medium high heat (around 350 degrees) and you should be good to go!
- Cook to your preferred doneness. Yes, it’s true; you can grill pineapple to different doneness just like you do with meat. If you’re looking for a crunchy pineapple just lightly heated through, only cook for 3-4 minutes per side. If you want your brown sugar caramelized thoroughly and the pineapple practically melting with each bite, aim for 5-8 minutes of cook time.
- Don’t fear the salt. I know it sounds strange to add a bit of coarse sea salt on top of your grilled pineapple, but it truly helps to finish this pineapple. Think of it like a salted caramel, the sweet and salty compliment each other, and a little pinch of salt actually makes the fruit taste sweeter.
More Grilled Pineapple Recipes
Ready to jump into the wonderful world of grilled pineapple? Try your hand at these other delicious recipes:
Grilled Pineapple Recipe
Follow the recipe below and let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Making dinner for your family should be a delicious experience, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Grilled Pineapple with Brown Sugar and Sea Salt
- 1 fresh pineapple, top, bottom, and skin removed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- Preheat your grill to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Slice the pineapple into 3/4 inch thick round slices. Use a spoon to put a dollop of the brown sugar mixture on each pineapple slice. Use the back of the spoon to evenly distribute the mixture over both sides of the pineapple.
- Place on the grill grates and cook for 4-8 minutes per side or until you have nice char marks from the grates and the pineapple is heated through.
- Transfer to a serving platter and lightly sprinkle with the coarse sea salt. Serve as a side dish, or top with ice cream for dessert. Enjoy!
**This post was originally published August 2015. It has since been updated with more information and photos. The recipe remains the same.