This Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple has all those tropical flavors of the island with a Hey Grill, Hey wood-fired twist. The recipe for this one actually came to me at the grocery store. I had just received a new chicken roaster and walked down the aisle thinking “what else could I grill on a chicken roaster?” I don’t have a ton of storage space in my kitchen, so I needed to find a few extra uses for the roaster to justify the shelf space. I saw the stack of poky pineapples and inspiration struck! I already knew I loved grilled pineapple, so this was a no-brainer!
I trimmed off all of the thick skin, the top, and the bottom, but left the entire core in tact to help support the pineapple on the roaster. From there, I just pressed the whole pineapple down onto the thin metal of the roaster. If you don’t have a chicken roaster, you can kind of fake it! Skewer two large metal or soaked wood kebab skewers in an “X” in the bottom inch of your pineapple and set on a vegetable roasting tray. The idea is to keep your pineapple vertical and slightly elevated so it’s not sitting directly on the grates. Indirect heat is your best friend with this recipe. Set up a two zone fire with heat on one side of your grill and not on the other, or use an indirect cooker/smoker like my CampChef pellet grill. This will help your pina colada grilled pineapple roast all the way around instead of just charring on the bottom.
So what makes this pineapple a Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple? The toasty coconut of course! The pineapple is rolled in dark brown sugar before roasting so the exterior carmelizes and those natural pineapple sugars start to concentrate. Then I brush it down with a little melted coconut oil to help the shredded, sweetened coconut stick and help with the final toasting of the coconut. The smell coming from the grill during the last few minutes toasting that coconut is seriously unreal. I can’t wait for you to smell it too!!
ALSO (how fitting)- Today is National Pina Colada Day!! Woooooo! I’ve teamed up with a crew of fellow bloggers who are working together to celebrate national food holidays all year long. It’s like a party each month with an awesome food theme (my favorite kind of party is a food party!) Go check out some of these awesome Pina Colada inspired recipes from the Celebrating Food Bloggers!
Pina Colada Ice Cream | Ashlee Marie
Tropical Piña Colada Cupcakes | Life Made Simple
Pina Colada Bread | Creations by Kara
Pina Colada Cupcakes | The Baker Upstairs
Vegan Pina Colada Cocktail | Namely Marly
Pina Colada Tembleque (Pineapple Coconut Pudding) | Foodie with Family
Pina Colada Pie | Real Mom Kitchen
Pina Colada Popsicles | Gather for Bread
And check out these Pina Colada Recipes from some of my favorite bloggers!
Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple
- 1 2-3 pound pineapple top, bottom, and skin removed
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F for indirect cooking.
- Carefully press the whole pineapple onto the stand of a chicken roaster. Use your hands to cover the exterior of the pineapple with the dark brown sugar. Place the roaster on the indirect side of the grill and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning as needed to prevent burning.
- Remove the pineapple from the grill. Brush with the melted coconut oil and carefully press on the shredded coconut. It's OK if some falls onto the roaster.
- Return to the grill for 4-5 more minutes, or until the edges of the coconut are nice and toasty.
- Remove the pineapple from the roaster and slice. Sprinkle with the additional toasted coconut from the bottom of the roaster and serve immediately. It's AWESOME with coconut ice cream.