posted August 16, 2021
Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple
This Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple has all the tropical flavors of the islands with a Hey Grill Hey wood-fired twist. Fresh pineapple is covered in brown sugar and shredded coconut then grilled to juicy perfection. Top it with some fresh coconut ice cream, and you’re set to enjoy a sweet and totally unique BBQ dessert.
Grilled Pineapple Dessert
The recipe for this one actually came to me at the grocery store. I had just received a new chicken roaster and walked down the aisle thinking “what else could I grill on a chicken roaster?” I don’t have a ton of storage space in my kitchen, so I needed to find a few extra uses for the roaster to justify the shelf space.
After seeing those ripe and crisp pineapples, inspiration struck! I already knew I loved grilled pineapple, so this pina colada pineapple was a no-brainer! A few ingredients later (shredded coconut, coconut oil, and dark brown sugar), and I was ready to create a unique and tasty BBQ dessert.
The last ingredient I highly recommend for this pineapple is coconut ice cream. Serve a scoop on top of the freshly sliced pineapple, and you have a perfect dessert.
Pina Colada Pineapple
So what makes this pineapple a pina colada pineapple? The toasty coconut of course! The pineapple is rolled in dark brown sugar before roasting so the exterior carmelizes and those natural pineapple sugars start to concentrate. Then I brush it down with a little melted coconut oil to help the shredded, sweetened coconut stick and help with the final toasting of the coconut.
The smell coming from the grill during the last few minutes of toasting that coconut is seriously unreal. If you have a group of friends over for a BBQ, this pina colada grilled pineapple is the perfect way to serve dessert (and make everyones’ mouths water in the process!).
How to Make Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple
It is extremely easy to make this pina colada grilled pineapple, and it’s a tasty dessert to serve after a hearty meal. Here’s how to make it (scroll to the bottom of this post for a full recipe).
- Prep the pineapple. Slice off the top of the pineapple, and trim off all the thick skin, and remove the bottom. Leave the entire core intact to help support the pineapple on the roaster.
- Skewer. Next, press the whole pineapple down onto the thin metal of the roaster. A Trompo King works AMAZING for this pineapple! If you don’t have a chicken roaster or something similar, you can fake it! Skewer two large metal or soaked wood kebab skewers in an “X” in the bottom inch of your pineapple and set on a vegetable roasting tray. The idea is to keep your pineapple vertical and slightly elevated so it’s not sitting directly on the grates.
- Grill. Indirect heat is your best friend with this recipe. Set up a two-zone fire with the heat on one side of your grill and not on the other, or use an indirect cooker/smoker like my CampChef pellet grill. This will help your pina colada grilled pineapple roast all the way around instead of just charring on the bottom.
- Add the coconut. Brush the pineapple with melted coconut oil and press on the shredded coconut. Continue grilling for 5 minutes and remove the pineapple when the edges of the coconut begin to toast.
- Serve. Slice the pineapple into rings. Sprinkle with additional coconut from the bottom of the roaster. I also serve mine with a scoop of coconut ice cream. This is a total game-changer, I tell ya! Warm, juicy pineapple with cold ice cream is simply heaven.
More Grilled Pineapple Recipes
Pineapple tastes incredible when cooked on the grill. It’s also awesome in salsa or used as a garnish on top of a steak. Try out these other popular recipes from Hey Grill Hey, and get those pineapples grilling!
- Pineapple Cream Cheese Pig Shots
- Himalayan Staled Flank Steak with Grilled Pineapple
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple Recipe
Ready to get your pineapple on the grill? Save this page or print the recipe card below to have on-hand. For an even easier way to look up this recipe (and others!) at the drop of a hat, make sure and download my FREE Hey Grill Hey App!
Are things looking a bit different around here? This post was originally published in July 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The popular recipe remains the same.
Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple
- 1 2-3 pound pineapple (top, bottom, and skin removed)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut (shredded)
- coconut ice cream (optional)
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F for indirect cooking.
- Prep the pineapple. Carefully press the whole pineapple onto the stand of a chicken roaster. Use your hands to cover the exterior of the pineapple with the dark brown sugar. Place the roaster on the indirect side of the grill and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the coconut. Remove the pineapple from the grill. Brush with the melted coconut oil and carefully press on the shredded coconut. It's OK if some falls onto the roaster.
- Continue grilling. Return to the grill for 4-5 more minutes, or until the edges of the coconut are nice and toasty.
- Slice and serve. Remove the pineapple from the roaster and slice. Sprinkle with the additional toasted coconut from the bottom of the roaster and serve immediately. It's AWESOME with coconut ice cream.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad