This Himalayan Salted Flank Steak is made with a sweet grilled pineapple salsa to provide you with a fresh and satisfying steak that won’t break the bank. Simply seasoned with coarse Himalayan salt, then grilled to perfection on a gas grill, this is the perfect steak for backyard parties.
Flank Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
This flank steak recipe is the perfect steak for spring and summer grilling. I spent quite a bit of time developing this recipe with the host/hostess in mind. After all, when hosting a BBQ, you want to be able to spend time with your guests without having to babysit the food constantly.
We love to have backyard get-togethers, and they are always centered around the food, (as they should be!). One main problem with hosting and cooking at the same time is getting stuck inside finishing up food prep. You should be able to enjoy socializing with your guests instead of being stuck by the grill making sure it doesn’t have any big flare-ups while the food is cooking. With these things in mind, I wanted to create a recipe that I could cook quickly and effortlessly all together on the grill in just a few minutes.
This, my friends, is that awesome recipe.
Himalayan Salted Flank Steak
This Himalayan salted flank steak is the perfect recipe to cook on your gas grill. Additionally, flank steak is a nice cut of beef to use for entertaining because it cooks quickly and has an amazing taste. If you’re looking for something that has great flavor and will feed a crowd, this is the steak for you!
A light coating of Himalayan salt provides the perfect accent to the great steak flavor. Add in some crunchy char from the grill, and you have a simply seasoned steak that tastes anything but ordinary. If you can’t find Himalayan salt, you can substitute coarse rock salt or coarse kosher salt for this recipe with similar results.
You don’t have to go crazy seasoning this steak. Simply lightly sprinkle the steak on both sides with the salt. Do not rub the salt into the meat. The savory flavor from this salt will just kiss the steak without covering up any of the amazing beef taste.
Cooking Flank Steak with Pineapple Salsa
The grilled pineapple salsa is quite possibly my favorite addition to the Himalayan salted flank steak. I mean, talk about WOW factor! The colors and bright, punchy flavors are the best way to amp up the fancy vibes of this dish without adding any extra effort. The pineapple and peppers grill right alongside the steak, making prep work and clean up so easy. Your guests will seriously think you slaved all day for this gorgeous dish, when in reality the whole thing only requires a few ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need for your grilled pineapple salsa:
- 1 small pineapple
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime
Begin by coating the pineapple in the brown sugar. Next, grill the pineapple and bell peppers on the grill alongside your flank steak. Roughly chop the pineapple and bell peppers, and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. You can serve this salsa on the top of your sliced steak or on the side for your guests to serve themselves.
More Grilled Steak Recipes
If you liked this flank steak recipe, you’re going to love these other grilled steak recipes from Hey Grill Hey. They’re juicy with the perfect amount of char from the grill.
Himalayan Salted Flank Steak Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Making good food should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when you’re busy at the grill. Check it out today!
Himalayan Salted Flank Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 1.5-2 lb flank steak
- 2 Tablespoons coarse Himalayan salt
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 small pineapple (skinned, cored, and cut into spears)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into rings)
- 1 orange bell pepper (cut into rings)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 juice of 1 lime
- Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F.
- Season the flank steak on both sides with the Himalayan salt. Don't rub the salt into the steak. Set aside while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Place the pineapple skewers in a gallon bag with the brown sugar and gently massage to coat all sides of the pineapple with the sugar.
- Open the grill and place the flank steak, pineapple skewers, and pepper rings directly on the grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Open the lid and turn over the steak, peppers, and pineapple. Close the lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the pineapple and bell peppers to a cutting board. Rough chop them together and transfer to a medium bowl. Gently stir in the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Set aside until you are ready to serve.
- Test the steak for the correct internal temperature using a meat thermometer. The temperature should read 125 degrees F for rare, 130-135 for medium rare, 140 for medium, 150 for medium well, or 155 for well done. Pick up the steak and give it a little smack with the back side of your knife to shake off any excess salt and transfer it to a cutting board. Let the steak rest for 4-5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Transfer the steak to a serving platter (or serve directly from the cutting board) and top liberally with the grilled pineapple salsa. Enjoy!!
**This post was originally published May 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.