posted January 09, 2023
Zesty Grilled Peppers
These grilled peppers are the perfect way to cook up the whole rainbow of bell peppers. Simply seasoned with pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, and lemon, they make a great side dish or addition to salads, salsa, omelets, and more.
Leave the boring grilled peppers behind and pump up the flavor with this zesty seasoning blend. Simple herbs, spices, and fresh lemon come together to give your grilled peppers the oomph they need to really shine.
Whether you cook these to enjoy as a side, or you plan to use them in a salsa or salad, they’ll bring a massive pop of flavor.
How to Grill Peppers
These pepper require hardly any prep time, and they cook up in under 10 minutes. Once you have all the ingredients assembled (a full list is included in the printable recipe card below) you’re ready to grill yourself some veggies! Here’s how to grill peppers.
- Prep. Preheat the grill (propane gas, charcoal, or anything you have on the back porch will work just fine for this recipe) to high heat, around 400-450 degrees F. While the grill is preheating, wash and cut the bell peppers into quarters and remove the ribs and seeds.
- Season. Place the pepper into a gallon-sized bag and add all remaining ingredients (olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and juice). Shake or massage to coat the peppers.
- Grill. Once the grill is fully preheated, remove the peppers from the bag and place them directly on the grill grates. Grill for 3-4 minutes, flip, and continue grilling for another 3-4 minutes.
- Enjoy. Promptly remove the bell peppers from the grill to a serving platter or cutting board. These can be enjoyed whole as a side or chopped up and used however you would like.
How Long to Grill Peppers
It takes around 3-4 minutes per side (6-8 minutes total) to grill peppers with the grill running steady at 400-450 degrees F.
Keep in mind that this time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the peppers and the consistency of the temperature on the grill. Keep an eye on your peppers and remove them from the grill when they have a nice bit of char on them, but they’re not overly blackened.
You can also cook these a bit longer or shorter if you’re aiming for crunchy or softer peppers. They’re pretty forgiving.
Tips for Grilling Bell Peppers
Pause here for a moment, folks! Here are some tips for grilling bell peppers that’ll help you make the most flavorful and perfectly cooked peppers.
- Try yellow and orange bell peppers. Any bell peppers will work for this recipe, but I prefer the sweetness of yellows and oranges to balance the brightness of the lemon in the marinade. Reds are a secondary choice and green bell peppers hit the lowest ranking on the scale as they tend to be a little bitter/bland.
- Use for meal prepping. Want to prep the peppers in advance? You can chop the peppers and assemble the seasoning the night before grilling. Your peppers won’t be quite as crisp, but they will have incredible flavor.
- Reuse leftovers! Store any leftover grilled peppers in the fridge for a few days. Chop and add to scrambled eggs, salads, sandwiches, you name it. These are great made in bulk and used for meal prep!
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
Grilled vegetables are my family’s go-to side during busy weeknights. If you’re also looking for quick and easy side dishes to make during the week, check out a few of our favorites below.
Grilled Peppers Recipe
Connect with Hey Grill Hey! If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind-the-scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Zesty Grilled Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (yellow, orange, or red)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat. Turn on the grill and allow it to preheat to high heat (around 400-450 degrees F).
- Prep the peppers. Wash and cut the bell peppers into quarters and remove the seeds and ribs.
- Season. Place the bell peppers in a gallon-sized zip-top bag, along with the olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and juice. Massage to evenly coat peppers in the seasoned oil. You can also place all ingredients in a bowl and stir well to evenly coat the peppers.
- Grill the peppers. Remove the peppers from the bag and place them directly on the hot grill grates. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side with the lid open to develop char marks and cook the peppers to a tender-crisp texture.
- Enjoy. Remove the peppers from the grill grates to your serving platter and enjoy immediately.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!