These Grilled Stuffed Peppers are a delicious and filling way to enjoy your veggies. Stuffed with ground beef, rice, and delicious seasonings, then grilled to crunchy perfection, you’ll be surprised how good these guys are!
Grilled Stuffed Bell Peppers
Grilled stuffed bell peppers are an awesome weekday dinner option. Not only do you get your meat and veggies in one tasty meal, but the bell pepper doubles as your bowl. You know what that means, friends? No extra dishes to do. We do A LOT of dishes over at our house, so any time we can make a meal that doesn’t make a handful of dishes is a winner in my book.
Not only do you nix a bowl for this meal, the stuffing is pre-cooked in a 12″ cast iron skillet. These are notoriously easy to clean, and they cook food like a champ.
When selecting your bell peppers, I say choose a variety of colors. Keep in mind that yellow and red bell peppers are sweeter, so avoid green bell peppers if you want a sweeter flavor. Also, buy peppers that have 4 bumps on the bottom (these are the female peppers) vs. the ones that have 3 bumps on the bottom (the male peppers). Even though female peppers have more seeds in them, they tend to be sweeter and will stand up better on your grill.
Grilled Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
This recipe for grilled stuffed peppers comes complete with ground beef. And personally, I think this tasty seasoned ground beef helps to make the meal. It’s hearty and goes perfectly with the rice, tomato sauce, and bell pepper.
You can also play around with the type of rice you use in these bell peppers. I personally used brown rice, but white rice will taste great as well. It’ll save you a lot of prep time if you cook the rice beforehand. In fact, these stuffed bell peppers are a great way to use up leftover rice from a previous dinner!
For the tomato sauce, I used my Smoke Roasted Tomato Sauce recipe (and boy, did it taste good!), but you can use whatever tomato sauce you like or have on hand.
How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers on the Grill
Here’s the rundown on how to make stuffed bell peppers on the grill (spoiler alert: it’s really easy!).
- Prepare the bell pepper. Cut the top off the bell pepper by cutting a half inch down from the top. Then, using a large spoon, scoop out the seeds and pitch and discard. Cut off any extra bell pepper from the cut off portion of the top and dice (this extra bell pepper is going to be added to the stuffing).
- Cook the stuffing. Preheat a 12″ cast iron skillet over medium heat (this can be done on your stove or on your grill). Add olive oil, diced pepper, and onions to the skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent. Add in the ground beef, garlic, Signature Beef Seasoning (this is available from my store, Patio Provisions, or you can season with salt and pepper), and oregano. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice and tomato. Add the rice and the tomato sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. At this point, add some additional salt, and more than you think you would need. As the peppers cook, the rice will absorb a lot of the liquid and salt.
- Preheat the grill and fill the peppers. Preheat your grill to Medium heat (around 350 degrees F) for 2-zone grilling. Fill the bell peppers with the meat mixture, and top with shredded cheese.
- Place those stuffed bell peppers on the grill! Place the peppers directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and grill for 30-40 minutes. The peppers should be soft, and the cheese should be melted and bubbly.
- Garnish and eat! Remove the stuffed bell peppers from the grill, garnish with minced parsley, and eat hot.
More Stuffed Recipes
Do you like your food stuffed with other food? Me too! Lucky for you, Hey Grill Hey has a handful of stuffed recipes for you to make and enjoy!
Grilled Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Follow the recipe, and let’s make some really good food! Hey Grill Hey is here to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. Head on over to YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook for more behind the scenes action!
Making dinner for your family should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Grilled Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 6 bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- Cut the bell pepper a half inch down from the top to remove the stem and the curved top side of the pepper. Using a large spoon, scoop out the seeds and the pith and discard.
- Cut off any extra bell pepper from the step portion, and dice. Set aside with the diced onion and garlic.
- Preheat a 12" cast iron skillet over medium heat. You can cook this on your stove or in your grill.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to your skillet. Add the diced pepper and onions, and saute for 3-5 minutes until they start to turn translucent. Add in your ground beef, garlic, Signature Beef Seasoning (or salt and pepper), and the oregano. Cook, stirring frequently to break apart the meat for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and the rice to the skillet and stir to combine. Add a little more salt than you would need, as the peppers cook, the rice will absorb a lot of the liquid.
- Preheat your grill to Medium heat (350 degrees F) for 2-zone cooking.
- Fill the peppers with the rice and meat mixture, and top the filled bell peppers with the shredded cheese.
- Place the peppers on the grill grates on the indirect heat side of your grill, close the lid, and grill for 30-40 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove them from the grill, garnish with minced parsley, and enjoy!