These Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers are absolute perfection for your 4th of July BBQ. Stuffed with roasted red bell pepper, creamy blue cheese, and topped with peppered bacon, you’re sure to celebrate in delicious style.
4th of July BBQ
Summer is in full swing, people! For us that means lots of outdoor dinners, chatting with friends on the porch, and watching late sunsets fade into warm evenings. I have a love affair with summer because it’s the perfect time for everyone to get out with their neighbors and eat some good BBQ.
I especially love July and all of the fun celebrations that come with it! The 4th of July might be my all-time favorite, because aside from the activities, there is always epic BBQ.
Today I’ve prepared an extra special burger just in time for Independence Day. My stuffed burgers are packed with roasted red pepper, blue cheese, and my famous Signature Beef Seasoning. After all, the 4th of July is a special occasion that calls for more than your typical burger. Plus, they have a red, white, and blue element to them that just screams patriotism.
These stuffed burgers aren’t just festive, they are also beyond delicious. The tender and sweet roasted red peppers are the perfect complement to the tangy and creamy blue cheese that is melted inside the burger. Pair all of that goodness with my amazing Signature Beef Seasoning, and you’ve got a juicy burger that will knock your socks off with flavor. Finally, adding peppered bacon to this burger is the cherry on top. Every burger is better with bacon, but a thick cut peppered bacon on this burger is just next level.
How to Make Stuffed Burgers
So how exactly do we get that good stuff packed in the burger? It’s a pretty easy process:
- Preheat your grill for two-zone cooking. Heat one side of the grill for direct cooking and the other side for indirect cooking.
- Roast the red pepper. Rub the pepper with olive oil, and place it on the direct heat side of the grill. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until the skin is blackened around the pepper.
- Prep your patties. Divide your ground beef into 8 equal portions. Form half of the portions into patties with the edges raised so there is a bowl to hold the stuffings. Form the other half into flat patties to act as the “lids” for your stuffed burgers.
- Get stuffing! Dice the roasted pepper, then place a spoonful or two of the red pepper in the bottom of your burger, top with a few spoonfuls of the blue cheese crumbles, and a sprinkle of Signature Beef Seasoning from Patio Provisions (if you don’t have any of this on hand, you can whip up some my Steak Seasoning instead). Top each stuffed burger with a flat patty and pinch the edges all the way around to seal. Season the outside of each burger with more seasoning.
- Grill the burgers, bacon, and buns. Place your burgers on the direct heat side of your grill, and lay out the bacon on the indirect heat side of your grill. Cook the burgers for 6-8 minutes per side or until the temperature reads 165 degrees F with an internal thermometer. Cook the bacon for 6-8 minutes, or until it is cooked to your liking. Butter your hamburger buns and place them on the direct heat side of the grill and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble and enjoy! Load up your burger with bacon, blue cheese dressing, and toppings and dig in!
Tips for Making Stuffed Burgers
Stuffed burgers require a little extra love, so check out these tips to get the best burgers:
- Choose the right beef. The secret to a juicy stuffed burger is starting with the right ground beef. I always go for whole ground round or sirloin at 85% meat, 15% fat. That ratio gives me the most tender burgers that still hold up well to being stuffed.
- Be gentle with the patty. Don’t overwork the beef when you are forming your patties or you’ll end up with chewy burgers. Also, NEVER press your patties flat on the grill with the spatula while cooking them, and only flip them once.
- Adjust the flavor. If you really love blue cheese, don’t skimp on the blue cheese dressing on top of the burger. If you’re looking for a more mild flavor, you can use plain mayo.
- Prepare plenty of toppings. Let your BBQ guests gussy up their burgers however they like. I always load mine up with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and of course a crisp dill pickle. Make sure you hit the table with plenty of napkins as well.
More Burger Recipes
Ready to try some more burger recipes from Hey Grill Hey? Check out these other burger recipes below:
Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers Recipe
Follow the recipe and let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef 85/15
- 6 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Seasoning
- 1/2 lb peppered bacon thick sliced
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup chunky blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 head green lettuce leaves
- 1 red onion sliced
- Prepare your grill for indirect cooking. If cooking on a charcoal grill, arrange the hot coals on one side of the grill, leaving the other for indirect cooking. If cooking on a gas grill, turn half of the burners on to High and the other half of the burners as low as they will go. Allow the grill to preheat.
- Rub the red pepper with olive oil and place on the high heat side of the grill. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until the skin is blackened and blistered all around the pepper. Remove the pepper from the grill and place in a zip top bag. Seal the bag and set aside for a few minutes while you form your patties.
- Divide your ground beef into 8 equal portions. Form half of the portions into patties with the edges raised so there is a well to hold the blue cheese. Form the other half into flat patties. The flat patties will act as the "lids" for your stuffed burgers.
- Remove the red pepper from the bag and peel off the blistered skin. Discard the stem, core, and seeds. Cut the roasted pepper into strips, then dice. Place a spoonful or two of the red pepper in the bottom of your burger, top with a few spoonfuls of the blue cheese crumbles, and a sprinkle of Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Seasoning.
- Top each stuffed burger with a flat patty and pinch the edges all of the way around to seal. Season the outside of each burger with more Beef Seasoning.
- Place your burgers on the direct heat side of your grill to cook. Lay out the bacon slices on the indirect heat side of your grill to cook alongside your burgers. Cook the burgers for 6-8 minutes per side or until the temperature reads 165 degrees F with an internal thermometer. Only flip once, and never ever press your burger flat with a spatula.
- Cook the bacon for 6-8 minutes, or until it is cooked to your liking. Remove from the grill and set aside until you're ready to assemble your burgers.
- Butter your hamburger buns and place on the direct heat side of the grill and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble your burgers with the lettuce on the bottom, followed by the burger, onion, tomato, bacon, and of course, the blue cheese dressing. Enjoy with plenty of napkins!