The Big Fat Fatty burger is so much more than just a burger. It is layers of cheese, bacon, jalapenos, onions, and BBQ sauce, slow smoked to tender, juicy perfection. While this epic burger creation is my very own brain child for #BURGERMONTH 2017, I WOULD LOVE TO THANK American Lamb Board, Anolon. Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner, Char-Broil, Curly’s BBQ, Cuttingboard.com, Melissa’s Produce, Primal Stone, Spiceologist , Thermoworks , & Veal Made Easy FOR THE KICK BUTT GRILL PRIZE PACKAGES!
My Big Fat Fatty burger was created to pay homage to the king of all months, #BURGERMONTH! We bloggers seem to really rally behind killer food holidays and with my lady of meats, Girl Carnivore, hosting I knew this one was right up my alley. I’m sliding in at the tail end of the month with my contribution, but you most definitely need to take a few minutes and scan the list of over-the-top burger recipes that have been posted this month by over 100 of my blogging buddies.
If you’re into burgers, you might be willing to take this one home to meet your mother. The Big Fat Fatty Burger aims to please with smoky bacon, juicy ground beef, BBQ sauce, red onions, pickled jalapenos, and sharp cheddar cheese. It’s all the flavors you love in a classic smoked BBQ fatty, but dressed up on a bun for your eating pleasure. You’ll be a little messy eating this one, but it will all be worth it! I dusted the whole thing with my Homemade Sweet BBQ Rub, grab that recipe HERE. If you need a tutorial for making the perfect bacon weave, check that out HERE.
I need to take a minute and give a solid shout out to cuttingboard.com for hooking a girl up with this custom cutting board of my dreams. They spent so much time making sure the logo was juuussssst right, and I gotta say they nailed it!! I think my Big Fat Fatty Burger looks even better just by being near such a killer cutting board. These guys are only one of the amazing sponsors of #BURGERMONTH 2017.
Speaking of sponsors, a whole slew of companies have rallied and supplied over $800 worth of prizes for one lucky winner! Click the image above, read up on the prizes, and enter yourself to win the beauteous #BURGERMONTH bounty of swag! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it if one of my readers won it all!
- 1 pound bacon (10 slices)
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin 80/20
- 1/2 pound cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce your favorite kind
- 3 Tablespoons Homemade Sweet Rub http://heygrillhey.com/recipe/best-sweet-rub-grilled-pork-chicken/
- 8 burger buns
- assorted burger toppings
- Preheat your smoker or indirect grill to 275 degrees F. I used a mix of oak and cherry wood for smoke.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Weave the bacon so that the pieces overlap in a 5 by 5 pattern. Season the bacon with about 1 Tablespoon of your sweet rub,
- Gently press the ground beef into an even layer on top of the bacon weave, leaving about an inch of the bacon exposed around the edges.
- Sprinkle the cheese across the top of the ground beef. Top with the red onion, cooked bacon, and pickled jalapenos. Sprinkle on a little more sweet rub and drizzle on some of the BBQ sauce.
- Carefully lift one side of the plastic wrap and begin rolling your fatty. Tuck in the filling as you roll and overlap the ends of the bacon. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap to tighten the fatty all together. *Optional* refrigerate the fatty for an hour to firm up before smoking.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap, season the fatty on all sides with additional sweet rib, and place on the smoker. Smoke for 2 hours at 275 degrees with the lid closed, or until the temperature reads 155 degrees F with an internal thermometer.
- Brush the fatty with the remaining BBQ sauce, increase your grill temperature to about 325 degrees F and grill for 10-15 more minutes or until the sauce is set and the meat temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the fatty to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes while you prep your buns. Load them up with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, pickles (or more pickled jalapenos) and additional BBQ sauce. Slice the fatty into 8 large slices and place one on each bun. Serve immediately and stock your table with napkins.