posted October 05, 2023
Quick Pickled Jalapeños
Tangy and flavorful quick pickled jalapeños are the perfect condiment to serve with your next BBQ platter or loaded nachos. Acidic and bright, they provide the perfect balance to rich meats and cheesy dishes. Plus they are simple to prepare and require no canning or specialty equipment.
Quick vs Canned Pickled Jalapeños
You can pick up canned jalapeños at your grocery store, and they’re fine. However, you’re limited to the flavor profile of the brand, and have no control of the heat. Making your own allows you to customize your flavors, and test the heat before jarring.
How to Pickle Jalapeños
- Make the brine. Heat a pan to a medium-high heat. Add your water, vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic, and mustard seeds. Cook until the brine is simmering and the sugar dissolves completely.
- Prepare jalapeños. Slice your jalapeño peppers. You can slice to your desired thickness. I usually cut them about 1/4 inch thick.
- Jar jalapeños. Place your sliced jalapeños in a mason jar. Make sure you use one with a sealable lid. Pack them tightly!
- Combine ingredients. Pour the still-hot liquid over the jalapeños and seal the jar. You want to lightly swirl the jar to evenly spread seasonings. This method gives you jalapeños that are just soft enough to enjoy without turning mushy.
- Cool down. Allow the jalapeños to cool to room temperature before serving or transferring to the refrigerator to chill. The color will change from a bright green to a more dull color as they pickle. You can eat these right away, but I prefer to let them cool in the fridge overnight.
How long do pickled jalapeños last?
This is not a canning recipe, this is a simple refrigerator pickled jalapeño process. These jalapeños are meant to be stored and served chilled. They will last several weeks in the refrigerator. While you could technically can this recipe if the ph in your vinegar is high enough (over 4%), I have found the hot water bath process required for canning makes the pickles turn mushy and not as enjoyable.
How hot are pickled jalapeños?
Test your jalapeños for heat before bottling. Some jalapeños are very spicy, while others are quite mild. The heat level will come down slightly when pickled compared to fresh jalapeños, but not much. Whatever the spice level is before pickling will be pretty close to the final spice level of your pickled jalapeños.
Pickled Jalapeño Recipe
Hey Grill Hey is here to ensure you master a BBQ recipe like a total pro. In fact, we hope each recipe and tutorial makes you feel like a backyard BBQ hero so you can feed the people you love.
If you loved this recipe, be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below! You can also access this amazing recipe and over 500 other recipes on the Hey Grill Hey App.
- 1 pound jalapeño peppers (stems removed and sliced)
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 ¼ cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- Make the brine. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add water, vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic, and mustard seed to the pan. Cook until it begins to simmer and the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.1 ¼ cups water, 1 ¼ cups distilled white vinegar, 2 Tablespoons kosher salt, 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar, 4 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
- Prepare jalapeños. Slice your jalapeño peppers.1 pound jalapeño peppers
- Jar the jalapeños. Place the sliced jalapeños in a large quart canning jar.
- Combine. Pour the still-hot liquid over the jalapeños and seal the jar. Lightly swirl the jar to evenly disperse the seasonings. Allow the jalapeños to cool to room temperature before serving or transferring to the refrigerator to chill. They can be eaten right away, but the next day is ideal.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!