posted July 03, 2019
All American Grilled Burgers
These All American Grilled Burgers are the ultimate grilled summer hamburgers. After all, it doesn’t get more American than hot dogs, burgers, bacon, cheese, and a homemade honey BBQ sauce all on a toasty bun! This post is sponsored by The Home Depot to get you pumped for a festive summer full of BBQ!
Summer Grilling on the BBQ
Just in time for Independence Day, I’ve created a one-of-a-kind, truly memorable burger. This bad boy is grilled up on my Weber Genesis II, and it is jam-packed with tons of meat and big flavor.
If you are looking for a way to up your grilling game, The Home Depot has the top brands and products for all tastes, skill levels, and budgets so that you can find the right grill for you. They are currently offering TONS of savings on grills for their Red, White, and Blue Sales for the Fourth of the July, including free Assembly on grills $399+ purchased in-store, and free delivery on those grills purchased online.
Best Grilled Burgers
This burger has it all. First up, it has a perfectly grilled 1/3 pound beef patty cooked to juicy perfection. We then add my Signature Sweet Rub to sliced bacon and grill it up until it’s lightly caramelized and wonderfully crunchy. As if that wouldn’t be enough, I grilled some all-beef hot dogs and stacked them on top for the ULTIMATE all american BBQ burger.
Just when you thought this burger couldn’t be amazing enough, I decided it needed a little something extra. This is where my homemade honey BBQ sauce comes in. This is the perfect, sweet BBQ sauce that adds a much needed flavor punch to all that grilled meat. Stack on your favorite toppings (lettuce and onions for me!), grab a handful of napkins, and dig in!
Tips for Grilling the Best Burger
Grilling the best burger is an easy, straightforward process, but I have some tricks up my sleeve to make sure you get the best burgers every time.
- Season your meat. I like to use good, flavorful seasonings on my meat prior to grilling. For my burgers, my Signature Beef Seasoning is my go-to every time. This seasoning perfectly compliments the beefy flavor. If you don’t have any fancy seasoning on hand, good old salt and pepper goes a long way.
- Select good ground beef. For good, juicy burgers, I recommend selecting meat with a 85/15 or 80/20 meat to fat ratio. Purchase ground round or chuck beef.
- Don’t overwork the beef. Do not overwork the meat when forming your patties! Form them into a loose ball and flatten, then stick them on the grill.
- Flip sparingly. Once your patties are on the grill, don’t mess with them too much. Try to only flip them once. And NEVER press them flat with a spatula while cooking.
How Long to Grill Burgers
Burgers do not take very long to grill. I usually estimate grilling them for 5-7 minutes per side. Grilling times vary depending on the thickness of your burgers and your preferred doneness. My ultimate recommendation? Use a meat thermometer to ensure your burgers are cooked through.
Check out the list below on burger internal temperatures to help you gauge how done your burgers are. Keep in mind, the FDA recommends cooking to 165 degrees F for ground beef.
Burger Internal Temperature
- Rare – 125 degrees F
- Med Rare – 135 degrees F
- Medium – 145 degrees F
- Med Well – 155 degrees F
- Well Done – 165 degrees F
More Grilled Burger Recipes
Are grilled hamburgers your go-to for summer BBQs? If so, I have some of the most flavorful and best burger recipes just for you! Check out the links below:
All American Grilled Burgers Recipe
This recipe was created for you, backyard griller! Here at Hey Grill Hey, we’re in the business of helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration) on Instagram, YouTube or our Facebook Page.
All American Grilled Burger
Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat for two-zone cooking.
- Combine all ingredients for Honey BBQ Sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and drizzle sauce over burgers.
- Form ground beef into 1/3 pound patties.
- Season beef patties with Hey Grill Hey Signature Beef Rub or salt and pepper.
- Slice the bacon in half and sprinkle one side of the bacon with Hey Grill Hey Signature Sweet Rub.
- Slice hot dogs in half lengthwise, but do not cut all the way through.
- Place your burgers on direct heat and grill for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the burgers and your preferred doneness.
- Place the bacon in the indirect heat side of the grill and cook, flipping occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Place hot dogs split side down on the direct side of the heat. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Place your buns face side down on the direct heat of your grill and toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Once all your meat is cooked to your desired doneness, assemble your burgers. Put a spoonful of sauce on top of the burger and top with a slice of cheese. Close the lid and allow the cheese to melt. Add 4 half slices of bacon on top of the cheese, and top with one hot dog.
- Add additional BBQ sauce on top of bacon if desired. Place meat on your toasted bun add toppings (I like lettuce and red onion on this burger).
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!