posted April 12, 2019
Grilled asparagus is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. With a crisp lemon flavor, this asparagus is simple, quick, and absolutely delicious! Lemon and garlic give the asparagus a subtle kick of flavor that perfectly compliments the grilled asparagus.
Asparagus is available year round, but the stalks are the most tender and sweet in early spring. This is my favorite time of year to get outside and cook, and grilled asparagus makes a near weekly appearance on our dinner menu at home. This recipe is actually the first thing my daughter ever grilled on her own, and all of my kids happily munch on their vegetables when this is on the table.
Grilled asparagus is amazingly easy to prepare and it cooks in 10 minutes or less, making it a fantastic BBQ side dish.
How to Grill Asparagus
There are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years to make perfect grilled asparagus:
- Buy medium sized stalks. Too thin and they burn quickly and fall through the grates. Too thick and they tend to be woody and stringy.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus where the stem naturally breaks. Pick up a piece and bend it near the cut end. This should give you a good indicator of where the woody ends stop and the tender asparagus starts.
- Use some oil before seasoning. I like using olive oil on my asparagus. Toss your stalks in a bit of oil to help the seasoning stick, but also to help develop some crispy char on the grill.
- Add acidity. Asparagus is pretty sweet and some acidity really balances the flavor. I like lemon juice, but balsamic or red wine vinegar is also great!
- Pre-heat your grill. If you’re grill isn’t hot enough, your asparagus will get cooked through and turn wilty before it has a chance to char on the grill. Those crispy bites are the best and you don’t want to miss out on them! I like to use my Weber Genesis II to get these grilled to perfection.
- Stay close by! Once your asparagus is on the grill, don’t close the lid and walk away. Keep an eye on them, rotating often to ensure even cooking. They may be done faster or slower than the recipe calls for based on your grill temperature and the thickness of your asparagus.
How Long to Grill Asparagus
I grilled my asparagus at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8-10 minutes. The amount of time you grill your asparagus will depend on a few different factors:
- Size and thickness of the asparagus. My asparagus were medium thickness. If you have large asparagus, expect them to take some extra time to cook. The opposites goes for thin, small asparagus.
- Grill heat. If your grill is on the cooler side, they will obviously take more time to heat through. Got a super hot grill? Pull that asparagus off sooner.
- Doneness. How well done do you like your asparagus? Do you like it crunchy? If so, you’ll need to have your asparagus on the grill for a shorter amount of time. Like your asparagus well cooked and soft? Give it an extra minute or two.
Bottom line, it doesn’t take long to grill asparagus, so stay close and keep an eye on it. This isn’t a situation where you can pull out your trusty thermometer. So if need be, pick up a spear and take a bite to determine if it’s ready to pull off the grill or not.
What Goes Best with Grilled Asparagus?
Honestly, pretty much anything! My favorite options for a full meal include my Smoked Mashed Potatoes and Beer and Mustard Glazed Pork Tenderloin. My kids love asparagus as a side for Surf & Turf with grilled steak and shrimp.
What would you serve with grilled asparagus? Let me know in the comments!
Grilled Asparagus Recipe
Watch the video below the recipe card and I’ll show you step-by-step how I make this delicious grilled asparagus at home. I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can check out more of my smoking and grilling recipe videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page.
- 1 pound asparagus (choose medium sized shoots, they hold up better on the grill)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 medium lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat your grill to High (about 400 degrees F)
- Trim the woody, tough ends off of the asparagus and lay them out in a single row on a baking sheet or cutting board.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, season with the salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the lemon zest, juice, and garlic. Roll around gently on the pan to ensure the asparagus are all evenly covered.
- Place the asparagus directly on the grill and roast the asparagus for 8-10 minutes, or until the ends have just started to brown and the shoots are still crisp tender. Serve warm or chilled.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad