Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a delicious and decadent side dish when you want something a bit fancy with minimal work. When asparagus is wrapped in bacon and drizzled in olive oil you’re in for an awesome flavor treat!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on the Grill
Bacon wrapped asparagus just screams SPRING to me, and it’s also a great start to grilling season. Asparagus is the best in the spring when the shoots are especially tender, sweet, and super affordable. It is the perfect side dish with any meal, especially when you’ve already got your grill hot from cooking dinner.
Bacon makes everything better, and this recipe for bacon wrapped asparagus is the perfect example. Is asparagus good roasted on its own? Sure! I love it, actually. Add in a little bacon, wrap them up in adorable little portioned bundles and they not only look absolutely amazing, but they taste amazingly delicious as well.
Ingredients for Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Remember how I mentioned how quick and easy it is to make this asparagus? That’s likely due to how few ingredients you need on hand! Here’s what you’ll need to snag from the store and pull out of your pantry to put together this awesome side dish:
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 4 strips bacon (cut in half)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt (to taste)
- fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
You’ll discover quite quickly how easy it is to make bacon wrapped asparagus. Simply wrap the asparagus in bacon, season, and grill!
The key element for the perfect bacon wrapped asparagus is using thin bacon. If the bacon is too thick or overlaps a ton when you wrap it you’ll end up with burned, overcooked asparagus and rubbery bacon. You want thin bacon that crisps up quickly so you don’t kill off your asparagus by leaving them on the grill too long. Another bonus? Thinly sliced bacon tends to be relatively inexpensive, so score one for my peeps on a budget!
Since asparagus is such a great side dish for grilled meat, I highly recommend tossing the asparagus on the grill to cook while your meat is resting. With the mild, woodsy flavor of the asparagus and the salty, rich bacon, not much else is needed by way of seasoning. I typically only coat the shoots with olive oil, salt and pepper before wrapping in thinly sliced bacon. Give this one a try, you’ll never look back.
More Asparagus Recipes
If you’re an asparagus fan like me, you’re sure to love these other tasty asparagus recipes from Hey Grill Hey:
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
Ready to become a backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group The Grill Squad for full access to all my meat, rubs, sauces, and meat buying masterclasses, podcasts, and so much more. It’s an amazing community of grillers that will help support you and increase your confidence of all things BBQ.
Making dinner for your family should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when making something for an upcoming get together. Check it out today!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 4 strips bacon cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill. Prepare your grill to cook at Medium-High heat (around 400-450 degrees F). Rinse the asparagus and pat dry.
- Trim the asparagus. Lay the asparagus flat on a cutting board and trim the ends by bending the bottom of the asparagus until it naturally snaps. This will ensure you don't have any woody pieces in your bundles. If you prefer to trip with a knife, trim at least an inch and a half up the stem.
- Season. Drizzle the asparagus with the olive oil and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Gently roll around the cutting board to ensure all of the asparagus has been seasoned.
- Wrap in bacon. Gather the asparagus into bundles of 6-8 shoots and wrap with a half piece of bacon. Try gently tucking the end of the bacon into itself at the end to secure. Toothpicks are also an option to secure the bacon, but be sure to remove them before serving.
- Grill the bacon wrapped asparagus. Place the bundles directly on the grill grates and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crisp. Serve immediately.
**This post was originally published April 2015. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.