posted February 09, 2022
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
Asparagus lovers rejoice! This grilled asparagus in foil is a fast and easy way to cook asparagus on the grill. It’s simply seasoned and perfect for beginners or experienced BBQers alike.
Can You Grill Asparagus in Foil?
Yes, you can most definitely grill asparagus in foil. A foil packet is a great way to keep food from falling through the grill grates, and it helps to steam the veggies while they cook.
I cooked my asparagus directly on the grates and wrapped in foil, and both produce great results. This foil recipe is great for beginners who are looking for a simple side to add to their BBQ dinner.
Ingredients for Grilled Asparagus
Here’s what you’ll need to have at the ready before you make this grilled asparagus.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
To prepare the asparagus, wash the stalks well and trim the woody ends. The best way to determine where to trim is by bending the end of the asparagus until it snaps. That breaking point is where the tender portion begins.
How to Grill Asparagus in Foil
Here’s how to grill your asparagus in foil.
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F. This asparagus foil packet can cook on just about any grill you have on your back porch. I cooked this particular recipe on my charcoal grill. It’s very forgiving. Make the foil pouch while the grill heats up.
- Make the pouch. Tear off large sheets of aluminum foil and place the trimmed asparagus in the center of the foil. Take care not to stack the stalks too high. Season with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fold up the ends of the foil over the asparagus and seal to make a tight pouch. (You’ll be flipping the pouch halfway through, so make sure it is sealed well).
- Grill. Place the foil packet on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the packet to the other side, close the lid, and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. Open the pouch (carefully!) to create a boat. Shred fresh Parmesan cheese on top of the asparagus and grill for another 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve. Test the asparagus for doneness and adjust cooking time as needed. Remove the pouch from the grill. You can transfer the asparagus to a serving dish, or serve the stalks right out of the packets for easier cleanup (my kind of meal!).
How Long to Grill Asparagus in Foil
If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish, this grilled asparagus in foil fits the bill. Once your grill is preheated, it only takes 10 minutes to cook!
Place the foil packet on the grill for 4 minutes, flip and cook for another 4 minutes. Finally, open the pouch to add your toppings and finish grilling for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
Notes for Grilling Asparagus in Foil
Hold your asparagus there, folks! I have a few words of wisdom for you backyard BBQ heroes to help you make the most of this grilled asparagus.
- Go small. Normally, I recommend thicker stalks of asparagus for grilling, but thanks to the foil wrap, you can pick the smaller (and often more tender) stalks. Your grilling time will be shorter the thinner your stalks are, so keep an eye on them while cooking.
- Snag a Microplane grater. This whole recipe is made better by well-zested lemons and grated garlic. A good Microplane grater will even finely shred your Parmesan cheese so it just floats onto your asparagus like a fluffy little cheese cloud.
- Grab that heavy-duty foil. Regular will work, but extra-wide 18-inch heavy-duty foil makes this process so much easier. If you’ve only got the 12-inch foil at home, you may need to layer two pieces to get full asparagus coverage
More Grilled Asparagus Recipes
These grilled asparagus recipes are a great way to add some veggies to your meal and cook them alongside your main course!
Grilled Asparagus Recipe in Foil
Well, there you have it. A light, fresh, and healthy grilled side dish that the entire family can enjoy. If you loved this recipe, be sure to give it a 5-star rating and leave a comment below. We love hearing from you and celebrating in your backyard BBQ success!
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic (microplane grated)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (finely shredded)
- Preheat. Preheat the grill to 450 degrees F.
- Prep the asparagus. Rinse asparagus and trim the woody ends. Find the best place to trim by bending the end of the asparagus until it snaps. The break point is typically where the stringy/tough portion ends and the tender stalk begins.
- Make the foil pouch. Tear off a large piece of foil and lay it flat on your work surface. Set the asparagus in the center of the foil, with no more than 2 pieces of asparagus stacked on top of each other. Drizzle with the olive oil, top with the lemon zest and juice, grated garlic, salt, and pepper. Fold up the opposite ends of the foil over the asparagus. Fold over the remaining foil to form a tight pouch.
- Grill. Place the foil pouch of asparagus on the hot grill grates and close the lid. Grill for 4 minutes, then flip the pouch. Close the lid and grill for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add cheese. Carefully open the top of the pouch, leaving the edges lifted to create a little bit of a foil boat. Top the asparagus with the shredded Parmesan cheese. Close the grill lid and cook for 2 more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve. Carefully remove the foil pouch from the grill to your serving platter. I prefer serving directly out of the foil for less clean-up.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!