posted February 28, 2019
Smoked Mashed Potatoes
Smoked mashed potatoes are the ultimate in comfort food. These fluffy potatoes are smoked for a tasty twist on a classic side dish.
Best Potatoes for Smoked Mashed Potatoes
The only mashed potatoes I ever knew growing up were russet potatoes, but the first time I ever tried to make them on my own, they ended up so watery and thin we had to eat them with a spoon. I’ve since learned that russets are great for making baked potatoes, but not so good for boiling. The best potatoes for mashing are definitely Yukon Gold potatoes.
Yukon Gold potatoes are firm, but not too starchy. They are perfect for boiling, mashing, then smoking! Plus, the flavor of these potatoes is already a little bit buttery so it makes that finished bite of mashed potato so rich and flavorful. Red potatoes can also work for mashed potatoes, but make sure you gently mash them instead of whip them (like this recipe calls for) or they will get gummy and pasty.
How to Smoke Mashed Potatoes
Smoking mashed potatoes is probably the easiest process ever. Simply boil, mash, and smoke!
- Boil potatoes. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add washed whole potatoes to the pot. Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
- Get mashing! Mash the potatoes until they are about 75% broken down. Add butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream and mix until they are to your preferred consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Prep to smoke. After mixing your mashed potatoes, spread them into a cast iron skillet. Place your skillet into the smoker of your choice, preheated to about 225 degrees F with your favorite hardwood. I prefer something light for these potatoes like pecan or alder wood. The porous potatoes will take on quite a bit of smoke flavor in a short amount of time.
- Smoke the potatoes. Let your potatoes smoke for about 1 hour. This will give the mashed potatoes that kiss of smoke they need without drying them out or overcooking them.
This method is fantastic for big family gatherings or dinners (Easter, Thanksgiving?!) because you can have those potatoes prepped and finished an hour in advance. The smoker will keep them warm until it is time to serve while infusing them with smoky flavor. Win win!
Smoked Potato Recipes
If you like these smoked mashed potatoes, you may also like these other awesome potato recipes you can cook on your smoker!
Smoked Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Watch the video below and I’ll show you step-by-step how I make these smoked mashed potatoes at home. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipe videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page. Follow along and let’s make awesome food together!
Smoked Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter (softened)
- 8 Tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (more, as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more, as needed)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water and then slowly add in your washed potatoes with the skin still on.
- Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove the potatoes from the water and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Using electric beaters or a potato masher, mash the potatoes until they are about 75% broken down. Add in the butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream. Mix again until they reach your desired consistency. Don't over-whip. Add salt to taste.
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F with a mild hardwood like pecan or alder.
- Spread the mashed potatoes into a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the smoker and close the lid. Smoke for 1 hour. Serve warm with additional melted butter, if desired.
Subscribe to receive our FREE weekly newsletter, The BBQ Beat, and never miss a new recipe!
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad