Grilled Cauliflower Steaks are going to become your go-to meal or simple side dish for any night of the week. These steaks retain the perfect amount of cauliflower crunch while getting a flavor-bursting sear from the grill. Topped with a simple 3-ingredient tomato salad and balsamic glaze, your mouth will be singing and your tummy will be thrilled. Added bonus: the whole thing is done in 10 minutes.
Cauliflower steaks are basically a fancy way of saying “cauliflower cut into slices.” They’re a fun way to enjoy cauliflower, and they can be seasoned in a variety of ways and cooked on the stove top. (Plus they’re extremely fancy and make you look like a top-notch chef!)
Now here is the dirty secret nobody tells you about cauliflower steaks, they can be a bit of a pain to cut. Honestly, you can only get 2 good “steaks” out of each cauliflower and the rest is going to end up as florets. Which is totally fine. I like to cut 2 heads into 4 steaks and reserve the florets for lunches during the week or roasting as a quick side dish another night. Start with a straight cut down the middle and then cut about 3/4 of an inch steaks straight down through the stem on each side. Those will be your two main cauliflower steaks. Season with a little olive or avocado oil and salt and pepper, and these bad boys are ready to go on the grill.
Grilled Cauliflower Steak
While you can cook cauliflower steaks in a variety of ways, I prefer to cook them hot on the grill. Grilled cauliflower steaks taste amazing, and they come out crisp and crunchy.
The secret to perfectly grilled cauliflower steaks is a really hot grill. You want a nice crunch and char on the outside without overcooking the inside. A cauliflower steak needs to have a good amount of crunch left to stay together without getting soggy. Top that with a sweet and savory burst tomato salad and BAM! Flavor party all up in your face. I like to drizzle the whole thing with some balsamic glaze and fresh basil, but if that isn’t your jam then you can totally skip it!
How to Make Cauliflower Steak
These steaks are super easy to make, and are ready in less than 10 minutes. Follow these instructions to get the best cauliflower steaks ever:
- Preheat the grill. Heat your grill to High (450-500 degrees). Place a 12″ cast iron skillet over the heat to preheat.
- Cut the cauliflower steaks. Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and trim off the end of the stem. Cut each head of cauliflower down the middle and cut one steak from the center of each half. Reserve the rest of the cauliflower for later use.
- Season the cauliflower. Drizzle the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Grill the cauliflower steaks. Set the steaks directly on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Make the tomato burst salad. Add olive oil and tomatoes to the preheated cast iron skillet. Once the tomatoes start to burst, add green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for an additional minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm. Serve the grilled cauliflower steaks with the tomato burst salad spooned on top. Top with balsamic glaze and fresh basil.
What to Serve with Cauliflower Steaks
Making a meal with these cauliflower steaks? Try them out with these other Hey Grill Hey recipes:
Cauliflower Steak Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Making delicious food should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! Over at Patio Provisions, we have sauces, rubs, and more to save you time and energy when you’re busy at the grill. Check it out today!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Burst Tomato Salad
- 2 heads cauliflower leaves removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Burst Tomato Salad
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- balsamic glaze optional
- fresh basil optional
- Preheat your grill to high heat (450-500 degrees). Preheat a cast iron skillet over the heat.
- After removing the leaves from the cauliflower, trim off the end of the stem. Cut each head of cauliflower directly down the middle. Cut one steak from the center of each half and reserve the rest of the cauliflower florets for later use.
- Drizzle the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the steaks on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the cauliflower grills, add the olive oil to the preheated cast iron skillet followed by the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to burst, add the green onions, garlic, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook for 2 additional minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve the grilled cauliflower steaks with the warm tomato salad spooned over the top. Top with the balsamic glaze and fresh basil, if desired.
**This post was originally published September 2016. It has since been updated with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.