Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Burst Tomato Salad are going to become your go-to Meatless Monday meal or simple side dish for any night of the week. These steaks retain the perfect amount of cauliflower crunch while getting a flavor bursting sear from the grill. Topped with a simple 3-ingredient tomato salad and balsamic glaze, your mouth will be singing and your tummy will be thrilled. Added bonus: the whole thing is done in like 10 minutes.
Now here is the dirty secret nobody tells you about cauliflower steaks, they can be a bit of a pain to cut. Honestly, you can only get 2 good “steaks” out of each cauliflower and the rest is going to end up as florets. Which is totally fine. I like to cut 2 heads into 4 steaks and reserve the florets for lunches during the week or roasting as a quick side dish another night. Start with a straight cut down the middle and then cut about 3/4 of an inch steaks straight down through the stem on each side. Those will be your two in tack steaks. Season with a little olive or avocado oil and salt and pepper.
The secret to perfectly grilled cauliflower steaks is a really hot grill. You want a nice crunch and char on the outside without overcooking the inside. A cauliflower steak needs to have a good amount of crunch left to stay together without getting soggy. Top that with a sweet and savory burst tomato salad and BAM. Flavor party all up in your face. I like to drizzle the whole thing with some balsamic glaze and fresh basil, but if that isn’t your jam then you can totally skip it!
Also, I am so thrilled to be a part of Cauliflower week for the Let’s Pull Up a Chair around-up hosted by Food Network!! Take a minute and check out these other amazing cauliflower inspired dishes!
The Lemon Bowl: Za’atar Crusted Cauliflower Steaks
Hey Grill Hey: Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Burst Tomato Salad
Devour: 4 Sneaky Ways to Replace Carbs with Cauliflower
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Curried Cauliflower “Risotto” with Apples
Taste with the Eyes: Not Your Average Crudités Platter
Healthy Eats: All the Ways to Eat Cauliflower
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Turmeric & Ginger Roasted Cauliflower
The Mom 100: Sauteed and Braised Cauliflower with Mustard Seeds and Green Peppercorns
Swing Eats: Cauliflower Fritters With Cheese, Jalapeño And Cilantro (Gluten-Free)
Creative Culinary: Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan and Cheddar Cheese Frosting
FN Dish: 7 Cauliflower Recipes That Aren’t Quite What They Seem
- 2 heads cauliflower leaves removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- balsamic glaze optional
- fresh basil optional
- Preheat your grill to high heat (450-500 degrees). Place a cast iron skillet over the heat for the tomatoes.
- After removing the leaves from the cauliflower, trim off just the end of the stem. Cut each head of cauliflower directly down the middle. Cut one steak from the center of each half and reserve the rest of the cauliflower florets for later use.
- Drizzle the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the steaks on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the cauliflower grills, add the olive oil to the cast iron skillet followed by the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to burst, add the green onions, garlic, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook for 2 additional minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve the grilled cauliflower steaks with the warm tomato salad spooned over the top. Top with the balsamic glaze and fresh basil, if desired.