Loaded Breakfast Nachos are the best way to start your day. Cheesy chips, sausage, eggs, and all the toppings combine to give you a breakfast that is delicious and filling. These guys are so good they’ll make a great meal any time of the day!
Nachos are one of the first foods I learned how to cook. Cheese melted on chips in the microwave? Nailed it. As the years have passed, my nacho game has significantly improved, but the general premise remains the same.
These breakfast nachos are truly spectacular. My loaded breakfast nachos are piled high with breakfast sausage, red onions, jalapenos, sour cream, and cilantro, but you can throw on whatever you’ve got around. Crumbled bacon? Awesome! Salsa, guac, beans? Go for it.
I cook my nachos in a 12-inch cast iron skillet because it gives me those bubbly, crisp edges of cheese on the bottom layer, but if you want you can also do these on a sheet pan. Making nachos in a large batch like this is perfect for a big family brunch or a super late night/early morning munchies meal.
How to Make Breakfast Nachos
Ready to make these tasty breakfast nachos? Unfortunately, these guys won’t be as easy to make as the classic microwave fare, but it’ll be worth the extra effort.
- Nachos! Assemble! These nachos are all about layers upon layers. Begin with a layer of tortilla chips, topped with sausage, red onions, jalapenos, and cheese. Repeat the process until your ingredients are piled high and looking pretty.
- Add some eggs. If you’re a fan of perfectly runny cooked eggs, this next step is crucial. Make 6 pockets in your cheese and crack one egg in each pocket. Season with salt and pepper. If you don’t like runny yolks, I would say throw on some eggs that have already been scrambled and then just bake until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Cook the nachos. Obviously, my favorite place to bake up these savory snacks is on my pellet grill. I get a little extra kiss of flavor from the wood fire and I’m able to maintain temperatures just like my oven. If you want to do these loaded breakfast nachos indoors, just follow the same time and temperature guidelines in the recipe below for your oven. Bake these nachos for 20-25 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
- Top with more goodies and enjoy. I topped my nachos with sour cream and fresh cilantro, but add whatever you fancy. Serve these nachos when they are nice and warm.
Tips for Making Breakfast Nachos
Here are some awesome tips to help you make the best breakfast nachos around.
- Watch your eggs. Keep in mind that every oven/grill cooks a little bit different. These eggs will bake in approximately 20-25 minutes for set whites and runny yolks in a cast iron skillet. The best recommendation I can give you is to keep an eye on your eggs. They could be done in as little as 10-15 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat as soon as the eggs reach your desired doneness.
- Get creative! These nachos are begging for your own flavor flair. Add in crumbled bacon, refried beans, or pulled pork. Top with guacamole, Smoked Salsa, Candied Jalapenos or Pickled Red Onions. These nachos are begging for your personal touch.
- Take it on the road! These nachos are awesome camping fare. Cooked in a Dutch oven over hot coals makes for a super filling breakfast. Imagine these cooking away while you’re prepping for a day in the great outdoors? Oh yes. Perfect outdoor food.
More BBQ Breakfast Ideas
Are you as big of a fan of breakfast on the BBQ as I am? If so you’ve just gotta try these other breakfast ideas from Hey Grill Hey:
Breakfast Nachos Recipe
Follow the recipe, and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own breakfast nachos at home. If you’re looking for the ultimate way to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero, join my members-only group The Grill Squad for full access to all my meat, rubs, sauces, and meat buying masterclasses, podcasts, and so much more.
Need some rubs and sauces to go with this recipe? Patio Provisions sells Hey Grill Hey Signature products for a great price. Best of all? They’re delivered straight to your door!
Loaded Breakfast Nachos
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 3 cups marbled cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup red onion (finely diced)
- 1 medium jalapeno (sliced)
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the grill. Preheat your grill or oven to 350 degrees F.
- Assemble the nachos. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, spread out half the bag of tortilla chips. Next, evenly distribute half of the sausage, half of the red onions, and half of the jalapeno slices on top of the chips. Top with 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers again with the remaining half of the ingredients.
- Add the eggs. Use your hands to create 6 small pockets in the top layer of cheese. Carefully crack one egg into each of the wells of cheese you just created. Season the eggs with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the nachos. Transfer the skillet to your oven or grill and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
- Add desired toppings and serve warm. Top with sour cream, cilantro, and any other desired toppings, and serve while still warm.
**This post was originally published in April 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.