Loaded Breakfast Nachos are like two worlds colliding in a tasty skillet 0′ cheesy chips, meat, and eggs. Perfect runny eggs, crisp toasty chips, and all the melty cheese you can handle.
I cook my nachos in a cast iron skillet because it gives me those bubbly, crisp edges of cheese on the bottom layer but if you want you can also do these on a sheet pan. Making nachos in a large batch like this is perfect for a big family brunch or a super late night/early morning munchies meal. Imagine these cooking away in your Dutch oven while you’re camping….. Oh yes. Perfect outdoor food.
Obviously, my favorite place to bake up these savory snacks is on my pellet grill. I get a little extra kiss of flavor from the wood fire and I get to maintain temperatures just like my oven. If you want to do these loaded breakfast nachos indoors, just follow the same time and temperature guidelines in the recipe below.
My loaded breakfast nachos are piled high with breakfast sausage, red onions, and jalapenos and then topped with sour cream and cilantro, but you can throw on whatever you’ve got around. Crumbled bacon? Awesome. Salsa, guac, beans? Go for it. These nachos are begging for your personal touch.
**Pro Tip: Keep in mind that every oven/grill cooks a little bit different. These eggs will bake in approximately 20-25 minutes for set whites and runny yolks in a cast iron skillet. The time will be less on a flat baking sheet. The best recommendation I can give you is to keep an eye on your eggs. They could be done in as little as 10-15 minutes. If you don’t like runny yolks, I would say throw on some eggs that have already been scrambled and then just bake until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
Loaded Breakfast Nachos
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 3 cups marbled cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely diced)
- 1 medium jalapeno (sliced)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your grill or oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet, spread out 1/2 the bag of tortilla chips. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the sausage, 1/2 of the red onions, and 1/2 of the jalapeno slices. Top with 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese Repeat the layers again with the remaining ingredients.
- Use your hands to create 6 small pockets in the top layer of cheese. Carefully crack one egg into each of the wells of cheese you just created. Season the eggs with the salt and pepper.
- Transfer the skillet to your oven or grill and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny. Top with the sour cream and cilantro and serve while still warm.