posted December 28, 2021
HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwich
This “HeyGriddles” breakfast sandwich will make you a weekend breakfast hero! It’s a complete breakfast all compiled in one. Best of all, everything is cooked on a griddle, making clean up nice and easy.
Grilled Breakfast Sandwich
Confession time: I’ve had a long and complicated love story with McDonald’s McGriddles breakfast sandwiches. I won’t eat anything else from that place, but there was just something about those maple-infused pancake buns that speaks to my soul.
Thank the stars, I’m no longer a slave to the drive-thru as I’ve cracked the code to the sweet pancake patties! Added bonus, now that I have my own flat top grill from Camp Chef, I can make my breakfast sandwiches out on my back deck any time the craving strikes.
The pancake batter in this recipe is a classic buttermilk batter that comes straight from my mother-in-law, and the magic happens when you swirl some maple syrup on the already bubbling pancakes. After that, everything else hits the griddle, and I mean everything! We’re talking Canadian bacon or ham, sausage patties, bacon (homemade of course!), eggs, and cheese for a breakfast sandwich ready to please.
Ingredients for the Best Breakfast Sandwich
Now, there are many ways you can make a breakfast sandwich, but I’m a firm believer that pancakes make the best “buns.” I also like to keep things classic with traditional American breakfast toppings. Here’s what I recommend for these sandwiches.
- Buttermilk pancakes. This recipe calls for homemade buttermilk pancakes, and they are the crowning glory of the sandwich.
- Sausage patties. Purchase some fresh sausage patties for this recipe, and feel free to snag whatever flavor or variety you like.
- Canadian bacon or ham. All meats are optional. I like to mix and match depending on how I’m feeling each day.
- Bacon. If you choose to make these with bacon, you’ve gotta try it with my Homemade Smoked Bacon.
- Scrambled Eggs. A must-have on all breakfast sandwiches.
- Cheese. I’ve found that a slice of American or Jack cheeses works best here.
- Syrup. Oh yeah, you gotta have some good maple syrup to add that sweet element to these breakfast sandwiches.
How to Make a Grilled Breakfast Sandwich
Okay, it’s time to make this behemoth of a breakfast sandwich. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat. I cooked this breakfast sandwich on my Camp Chef Flat Top Griddle. To start, preheat your griddle to medium heat. If you’re using a large griddle like this one, keep a bottle of vegetable oil on hand to keep the surface stick-free.
- Make the pancakes. Make the batter for the pancakes using the recipe below. Coat the griddle with vegetable oil and pour the pancake batter on the griddle. Swirl a teaspoon of maple syrup into each pancake as they begin to bubble and cook. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cook the meat and eggs. Add the meat and eggs to the griddle. Heat until everything is fully cooked and the eggs are that perfect scrambled egg consistency.
- Assemble. Once everything is cooked, assemble the breakfast sandwiches buffet style. Pancakes, then eggs, cheese, and on to the meats. Your guests can choose their own meat adventure and load up their HeyGriddles with whatever they prefer.
To see my process for the breakfast sandwiches, watch the video below. To get the recipe for the best pancakes ever, scroll down and print it off!
More BBQ Breakfast Recipes
There’s something about a delicious BBQ breakfast that has my mouth watering almost immediately. If you LOVE your breakfast cooked on the grill, smoker, or griddle, check out these other delicious BBQ breakfast recipes from Hey Grill Hey.
HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
All that’s left is for you to scroll to the printable recipe card below and make yourself a tasty HeyGriddles breakfast sandwich! Oh, and make sure to come back here and leave a comment letting us know how you customized your sandwich!
This post was originally published in October 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwiches
- ½ pound breakfast sausage patties
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon or ham
- 6 eggs
- salt, to taste (for the eggs)
- 6 slices cheese (American or jack cheeses work best)
- 3-4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat. Preheat the griddle to medium heat.
- Make the pancake batter. Sift the dry ingredients for the buttermilk pancakes together in a bowl. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil and whisk together. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the flour is barely moistened. Lumps are ok.
- Cook the pancakes. Lightly coat the flat top with some of the vegetable oil and use a 1/3 cup measure to pour the pancake batter onto the griddle. Swirl about a teaspoon of maple syrup into each of the pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Cook the meat. While the pancakes are cooking, begin frying the bacon and sausage. Flipping after a golden crust has formed on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes.
- Make the eggs. While the pancakes and meats are frying, oil another section of the griddle top and crack the 6 remaining eggs. Season with salt and stir vigorously to scramble the eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally until they are almost set. Use the spatula to form the eggs into a long pile about as wide as your pancakes and top with the cheese slices.
- Assemble and enjoy. Remove everything from the griddle when it is thoroughly cooked and transfer to a large serving platter. Assemble your sandwiches by placing a pancake on the bottom with the maple syrup side facing into the sandwich. Top with cheesy eggs, your meat of choice, and another pancake, maple side in. Eat and enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!