posted October 17, 2017
HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwiches
These HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwiches will make you a weekend breakfast hero!
Big thanks to my friends at Camp Chef for sponsoring this post and sending me a Flat Top Grill to use and love. If you’ve been considering adding a flat top to your outdoor cooking collection, let this post serve to motivate you to make the leap. I don’t know how I lived without mine! On to the recipe!
Confession time: I had a long and complicated love story with McDonald’s McGriddles breakfast sandwiches. I won’t eat anything else from that place, but there was just something about those maple infused pancake buns that spoke to my soul. Thank the stars, I’m no longer a slave to the drive thru as I’ve cracked the code to the sweet pancake patties! I can’t wait to share it with you! Added bonus, now that I’ve got my own Flat Top Grill from Camp Chef, I can make my breakfast sandwiches out on my back deck any time the craving strikes.
First up for our HeyGriddles, we gotta preheat our griddle. The 6-burner Camp Chef Fat Top is almost 900 square inches of seasoned steel and everything seems to do better and cook more evenly at medium heat. I keep a bottle of vegetable oil on hand to keep the surface stick-free and make sure all of my ingredients are prepped before I head outside. The pancake batter is a classic buttermilk batter that came straight from my mother in law and the magic happens on the flat top when I swirl in some maple syrup on the already bubbling pancakes. Everything else hits the griddle, and I mean everything else. We’re talking Canadian bacon or ham, sausage patties, bacon (homemade of course!), eggs and cheese!
Once everything is cooked, I like to assemble my breakfast sandwiches buffet style. Pancakes, then eggs, and on to the meats. Your guests can choose their own meat adventure and load up their HeyGriddles with whatever they like. To see my process for the breakfast sandwiches, watch the video below. To get the recipe for the best pancakes ever, scroll down and print it off!
HeyGriddles Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage patties
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 4 oz Canadian bacon or ham
- 6 eggs
- salt, to taste (for the eggs)
- 6 slices cheese (American or jack cheeses work best)
- 3-4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- Sift the dry ingredients for the buttermilk pancakes together in a bowl. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil and whisk together. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the flour is barely moistened. Lumps are ok.
- Lightly coat the flat top with some of the vegetable oil and use a 1/3 cup measure to pour the pancake batter onto the griddle. Swirl about a teaspoon of the maple syrup into each of the pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- While the pancakes are cooking, begin frying the bacon and sausage. Flipping after a golden crust has formed on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes.
- While the pancakes and meats are frying, oil another section of the griddle top and crack the 6 remaining eggs. Season with salt and stir vigorously to scramble the eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are almost set. Use the spatula to form the eggs into a long pile about as wide as your pancakes and top with the cheese slices.
- Remove everything from the griddle when it is thoroughly cooked and transfer to a large serving platter. Assemble your sandwiches by placing a pancake on the bottom with the maple syrup side facing into the sandwich. Top with cheesy eggs, your meat of choice, and another pancake, maple side in. Eat and enjoy!
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad