posted August 28, 2019
Chorizo Breakfast Burrito
This Chorizo Breakfast Burrito is the best of the best. Soft scrambled eggs combined with delicious chorizo, jack cheese, pico de gallo, Mexican crema, and crispy hash browns make this a breakfast burrito that’ll wow your family and friends.
Best Breakfast Burrito
I’m not kidding when I say this is the best breakfast burrito. It takes everything you love in a good breakfast burrito and kicks it up a major notch.
This burrito was whipped up on the fourth and final episode of Food Network’s show BBQ Brawl. In this episode I was competing for the title of “Master of ‘Cue,” and when it was announced that we had to cook the judges breakfast, I knew I had to pull out all the stops with this one. Even though I didn’t win this challenge, the judges loved these burritos, and Bobby Flay came over and ate an entire burrito after the fact. So, I mean, I think these burritos were the true winners of the challenge.
This breakfast burrito is loaded with flavor and texture. We begin with Mexican chorizo that cooks down and gives you an old-school ground beef texture. You get little crunchy edges with a nice, spicy flavor that is perfect in a breakfast burrito. Next up, the hash browns in this are crispy crispity crisp. Cooking them in beef tallow (I make my beef tallow from brisket trimmings, but you can buy it from your grocery store) gives them the best flavor and truly makes them the crispiest ever. If you don’t have any beef tallow on hand, you can use butter or bacon fat. But honestly, truly, the crispiest hash browns come from using beef tallow.
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
Here’s the main components that make an amazing breakfast burrito:
- Mexican chorizo
- Flour tortillas
- Soft scrambled eggs
- Jack cheese
- Crispy beef tallow hash browns
- Pico de gallo
- Mexican crema
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
So if you saw me compete on BBQ Brawl with this recipe, you know that I had THE BEST sous chef ever. Even though I had Michael Symon helping me whip this up in record time, doesn’t mean that you can’t perfectly recreate your own at home. Here’s how it’s done:
- Preheat your griddle. Preheat your to Medium-High Heat. I used my Camp Chef Flat Top Grill for these breakfast burritos, but you are welcome to cook these on your stove top as well.
- Prep your potatoes, eggs, and pico de gallo. Wash and grate your potatoes, and press out as much moisture as you can with a double layer of paper towels. Crack your eggs into a large bowl, stir in heavy whipping cream and salt and beat lightly with a fork. Mix all ingredients for the pico de gallo into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Make the hash browns. Melt 2 Tablespoons of beef tallow (or bacon fat or butter) on the griddle. Lay the shredded potatoes nice and flat to the top of the melted beef tallow, and season with salt and pepper. Do not flip until they are golden brown. Flip them and spoon 2 more Tablespoons of beef tallow on top of them. Cook until the second side is also golden brown.
- Cook the chorizo and eggs. Add the chorizo to your cook top. When the chorizo is almost done, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter on the griddle and add your egg mixture. Make sure your add the eggs to the griddle on the coolest part of the griddle. Stir frequently. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble your burritos. Remove all items from your griddle, and assemble your burritos. In each tortilla, add a spoonful of eggs and chorizo, hash browns, and top with shredded cheese. Roll them tightly.
- Grill the burritos. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the griddle. Place the rolled burritos seam side down on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes until they are crispy.
- Serve with pico de gallo and Mexican crema.
More Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast on the grill is a delicious experience. Check out more breakfast recipes from Hey Grill Hey below:
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Follow the recipe, and let’s make some delicious breakfast! Hey Grill Hey is here to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. Head on over to YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook for more behind the scenes action!
Chorizo Breakfast Burrito
- 6 flour tortillas (burrito sized)
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 Tablespoons Mexican crema
- 4 Tablespoons butter
Crispy Hash Browns
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons beef tallow
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Soft Scrambled Eggs
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pico de gallo
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons red onion (finely minced)
- 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and finely minced)
- juice of 1 lime
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your griddle (or stove top) to Medium-High heat.
- Wash and grate your 3 potatoes, and place them onto double layered paper towels. Press out as much moisture as you can with the paper towels.
- Prepare your eggs by cracking 6 eggs into a large bowl or pourable measuring cup. Stir in the heavy whipping cream and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and beat lightly with a fork.
- Prepare your pico de gallo. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Head to the griddle. Put half your beef tallow on the griddle and allow it to melt. Add the shredded potatoes on top of the melted beef tallow, and season with both salt and pepper. Lay them in a nice even layer, and do not flip them until they are golden brown.
- Flip the hash browns and spoon the remaining beef tallow over the top so it melts in to the potatoes. This will help to crisp the other side.
- Add the chorizo to your cook top. Break it up with the end of your spatula. When your chorizo is almost done and your potatoes have been flipped, add your eggs to your griddle.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter on your griddle top on the coolest part of your griddle (turn off a burner if need be). Pour your egg mixture on top of the melted butter and cook, stirring frequently with a spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer your eggs, chorizo, and hash browns to a plate so you can begin assembling your burritos.
- Assemble your burritos. In each tortilla shell, add a spoonful of eggs, a spoonful of chorizo, crispy hash browns, and top with shredded cheese. Roll them up tightly.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the griddle. Place the rolled burritos seam side down on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes until burritos are crispy on the outside.
- Serve hot with your pico de gallo and Mexican crema.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad