posted December 02, 2019
Grilled Shrimp with a Chili Lime Rub
This Grilled Shrimp with a Chili Lime Rub is a sweet and spicy way to enjoy shrimp. They cook in under 10 minutes and are bursting with flavor, making them the perfect meal when you’re short on time.
When it comes to cooking shrimp, sticking them on the grill is a no-brainer. They cook extremely quickly on the grill, and the whole process is not a time-consuming venture. Once you have your shrimp seasoned, you’re looking at less than 10 minutes cook time before you’re ready to eat. It gives a whole new meaning to fast food!
This recipe works on any size shrimp you purchase, but you will have to adjust cooking time depending on the size of shrimp that you have. I used U/15 (colossal) size shrimp for this cook, and they were the perfect size for dinner. If you are using smaller sizes, be prepared to pull them off the grill a few minutes earlier. If you get extra colossal sized shrimp (U/10), give ’em an extra minute or two on the grill.
Grilled Shrimp Seasoning
The seasoning for this grilled shrimp brings a nice smoky heat to the shrimp. It’s exactly what you want from shrimp – it’s not super spicy, but it does have plenty of flavor and just a bit of heat. This shrimp is great eaten as-is, but it also works really well on salad, as an appetizer, or in Grilled Shrimp Tacos.
Here’s what you’ll need for the seasoning (exact amounts in the recipe card below):
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chipotle Chili Powder
I recommend making the shrimp seasoning ahead of time and setting it aside so it is ready to go when you are just about to place the shrimp on the grill.
How to Grill Shrimp
Are you ready for how easy it is to grill shrimp? They’re so fast, you’ll be amazed you waited so long to stick seafood on the grill! In fact, it’ll be ready in 3 simple steps:
- Season. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and toss with the shrimp seasoning to evenly coat the shrimp.
- Grill. Preheat your grill (I cooked these on my gas grill, but a charcoal grill works great as well) to 450 degrees F. Place the shrimp directly on the grill grates and grill for 2-3 minutes per side (they should turn pink and opaque when fully cooked).
- Serve. Remove the shrimp from the grill to a serving platter. Serve these shrimp hot with a side of lime wedges.
How Long to Grill Shrimp
It takes approximately 4-6 minutes total (2-3 minutes per side) to cook U/15 shrimp on the grill when the grill is preheated to 450 degrees F. Cook time will need to be adjusted depending on the size of shrimp you have and the consistency of the heat on your grill.
When cooking shrimp, remember to wait for them to turn a nice pink color and turn opaque throughout before removing them from the grill. This will happen quickly, so stay right next to your grill after to put them on the grates so you can be prepared to pull them off as they are ready.
More Grilled Shrimp Recipes
Now that I’ve shown you just how quick and easy it is to cook shrimp on the grill, check out more grilled shrimp recipes from Hey Grill Hey below. They’re all unique and all packed with plenty of flavor to keep your family and friends satisfied.
Grilled Coconut Shrimp Foil Packets
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Tabasco Peach Glaze
Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad
Grilled Shrimp Recipe
Follow the recipe, and let’s make some really good food! Hey Grill Hey is here to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. Head on over to YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook for more behind the scenes action!
- 1 pound U/15 Shrimp (no shells, veins removed)
Chili Lime Shrimp Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Mix all ingredients for the shrimp seasoning in a small container.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Toss with the shrimp seasoning to make sure each shrimp is evenly coated with the seasoning.
- Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F.
- Place your seasoned shrimp directly on the grill grates. Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side (4-6 minutes total) or until they are pink and opaque throughout.
- Promptly remove the shrimp from the grill. Serve hot with lime wedges.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!