posted May 16, 2019
Grilled Coconut Shrimp Foil Packet
Grilled Coconut Shrimp Foil Packet dinners are perfect for a weeknight dinner or backyard cookout with friends. The foil pouch ensures the shrimp is cooked perfectly in the rich sauce and toasted coconut on top brings it all together. This post is sponsored by Reynolds Wrap®.
Grilled Coconut Shrimp
We’re all familiar with battered and deep fried coconut shrimp, but have you tried it grilled? It will change the way you’ve thought about coconut shrimp forever. Large shrimp are grilled in foil packet with coconut and lime until they are perfectly cooked. Then, I top with coconut toasted right on the grill and serve with fresh grilled pineapple. Amazing over rice or as a standalone dish, you’re going to love these!
Tips for Grilled Foil Packet Recipes
- Pick uniform ingredients. Since we won’t be flipping each shrimp individually, pick shrimp that are the same size so they cook evenly in the pouch.
- Use high quality Reynolds Wrap® Foil. My favorite type (and one we always have on hand) is the Heavy Duty Foil. This foil is thick enough to stand up to the heat of the grill, folds and crimps easily, and comes in and Extra Wide (18” long instead of the standard 12”) so I don’t have to worry about spilling out any ingredients while filling my foil packets.
- Prepare everything on a rimmed baking sheet. This allows you to keep your packets organized from the kitchen to the grill, and back.
- Reach for the spatula, not the tongs. Tongs with sharp or misshapen ends can tear your pouches open and spill out our lovely cooking liquid. Since you’re only flipping your foil packs one time, all you need to do is gently turn them over and lift them off the grill when finished.
Grilled Coconut Shrimp Foil Packet Recipe
This recipe was created to help you think outside the box for tasty foil pack dinners. I am thrilled to partner with Reynolds Wrap (featuring products I already use and love) through the summer to bring you new and inspiring recipes. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes here on my website (browse the Homepage for inspiration!) on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page. Follow along and let’s make awesome food together!
Grilled Coconut Shrimp Foil Packets
- 2 pounds shrimp (16-20) (peeled, and deveined)
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 4 pineapple rings
- 4 large sheets Reynolds Wrap Heavy Duty foil (Extra Wide)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 limes (zest and juice)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat (400-450 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the coconut sauce.
- Tear off four large sheets of Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty foil. Place 9 shrimp in the center of each piece of foil, not overlapping. Fold up the edges of the foil to create a dish. Pour equal amounts of the cooking liquid into each foil pouch. Tightly crimp the edges of the foil pouch together. If there are any gaps in the foil, wrap in a second sheet to create a tight seal. Set aside.
- Tear off one more sheet of foil and fold up the edges to create a flat surface with rimmed edges (like a baking sheet) about 6 inches square. Spread the coconut out across the foil in a single layer.
- Place the shrimp packets, the coconut tray, and the grilled pineapple on the grill. Cook the pineapple for 2-3 minutes per side. Toast the coconut until golden brown, stirring as needed. Grill the shrimp for 6-8 minutes, flipping once, or until the shrimp is opaque throughout and reads 145 degrees F with an internal thermometer (you can slightly open a pouch to check the temperature).
- Open the pouches and sprinkle with the toasted coconut and cilantro (optional). Serve with the grilled pineapple straight out of the foil pouch. Delicious on its own or with cooked rice. Enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!