posted June 06, 2022
Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Chorizo
These grilled chicken fajitas are made with fresh ingredients and spicy chorizo for a tasty lunch or dinner that the whole family can enjoy. Seasoned with Hey Grill Hey Fiesta Rub, these chicken fajitas are popping with flavor.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
There are few things I love more than grilled chicken fajitas. It’s a quick and easy dinner that I can cook all on the grill that is both filling and delicious.
These chicken fajitas only require a handful of ingredients, many you’re likely to already have on hand, and about 30 minutes of your time. The secret ingredient to making incredible chicken fajitas is a good seasoning. With big pops of flavor, my Fiesta Rub is the ultimate seasoning for just about anything on the BBQ. Chilis and lime combine for a fresh and feisty flavor marriage that tastes incredible on these grilled chicken fajitas.
Grilled Chicken Fajita Ingredients
Ready to make these mouth-watering grilled chicken fajitas? You only need 8 ingredients and you’ll be all set!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1 poblano pepper
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 white or sweet onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Fiesta Rub
How to Grill Chicken Fajitas
Here’s how to make these grilled chicken fajitas.
- Preheat. Turn on your favorite charcoal grill or gas grill and preheat to 400 degrees F. Once the heat is stable at 400 degrees F, place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on the grates to preheat.
- Prep and season. Trim any fat off the chicken breasts and slice into strips. Slice the jalapeno, onion, and bell pepper into strips (remove all seeds and pith). Season the chicken with Fiesta Rub and season the vegetables with olive oil and Fiesta Rub.
- Grill. Add oil to a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add the chorizo and break apart while it browns. Cook for 2 minutes. Add in the vegetables and then chicken. Turn the chicken every few minutes so it cooks evenly. Remove when the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Assemble. Remove the meat and veggies from the grill. Assemble the grilled chicken fajitas by layering chicken, chorizo, and veggies on a flour or corn tortilla. Add any additional toppings as desired.
How Long to Grill Chicken Fajitas
These chicken fajitas are a breeze to make! In fact, once you have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go, it will only take around 10 minutes to grill the veggies and meat.
Make sure you have a reliable meat thermometer handy to ensure the chicken is cooked through. Chicken is safe to be consumed at 165 degrees F. Your veggies are done when they have softened slightly but still have a bite to them.
Tips for Making Chicken Fajitas
Here are some tips for making these chicken fajitas on the grill.
- Get colorful. This recipe only calls for 1 bell pepper, so feel free free to use your favorite color. If you’re feeling adventurous, slice up 1/3 of yellow, red, and green bell peppers for a flavorful variety on your fajitas.
- Use corn or flour tortillas. Hey Grill Hey has recipes for both Grilled Corn Tortillas and Grilled Flour Tortillas to cook on the grill and serve alongside your amazing fajitas.
- Don’t forget the toppings! I like to pull out all the toppings for these grilled chicken fajitas and have them laid out, buffet-style for my family or guests to customize their own fajitas. Our favorites include sour cream, smoked salsa, cilantro, limes, and guacamole.
Do you have any tips you use when making your own grilled chicken fajitas at home? If so, let me know in the comments below!
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
It doesn’t have to stop with these grilled chicken fajitas! Check out these other tasty grilled chicken recipes from Hey Grill Hey!
Grilled Chicken Fajita Recipe
Ready to become the master of chicken? Join my members-only group The Grill Squad to access my Steak Masterclass (and so much more!) to increase your confidence of all things BBQ. Let me help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero!
Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Chorizo
- 8 soft flour or corn torillas
- 1 pound chicken breast (sliced into strips)
- ½ pound chorizo (casing removed)
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 white or sweet onion (cut in half then sliced)
- 1 bell pepper (seeds and ribs removed and sliced)
- 3 jalapenos (seeds and ribs removed and sliced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons Hey Grill Hey Fiesta Rub (divided use, recipe in notes)
- Preheat. Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F. Once the grill temperature is stabilized at 400 degrees, place a 12-inch cast iron skillet over the fire and allow it to preheat.
- Season the chicken. Trim any excess fat from the chicken breasts, slice into strips, and season on all sides with 2 Tablespoons Fiesta Rub.
- Prep chorizo and veggies. Remove the chorizo from its casing and seed the jalapeno and bell pepper. Chop the peppers and onion into slices, just be sure to cut them all the same size so they have the same cook time. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and season with remaining Fiesta Rub.
- Cook chorizo and veggies. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of the oil in the skillet, followed by the chorizo. Break apart the chorizo while browning. After 2 minutes, add the sliced vegetables in with the chorizo, stirring often for even cooking and caramelization.
- Grill the chicken. Once the veggies are on, it's time to grill the chicken. Depending on space, you can clear space for the chicken to nestle in over the hottest point of the skillet or lay the chicken strips directly on the hot grill grates. Either way, be sure to turn the chicken every couple of minutes to prevent burning. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 F.
- Mix all meat and veggies. Add the chicken to the skillet and toss the chicken, vegetables, and chorizo all together.
- Assemble. Remove the skillet from the grill and dish up in corn or flour tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!