posted May 30, 2022
Grilled Corn Tortillas
It’s hard to pass up a homemade grilled corn tortilla fresh off the grill, and this recipe is a simple and intimidation-free way to make your own fresh corn tortillas at home.
Can You Grill Corn Tortillas?
Yes, you can make and cook a corn tortilla on your grill!
This particular recipe works great for a gas or charcoal grill. I like to cook mine on a preheated griddle or cast-iron skillet for a nice, flat surface for baking, and you can do this right on your favorite backyard grill!
Homemade Corn Tortillas
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying tortillas from the store when making some tacos, burritos, or quesadillas. In fact, I’ll often go the easy route, especially when making dinner for my family.
However, when I have the time, it’s always worth it to make homemade corn tortillas for your meals. The fresh ingredients and hot-off-the-grill tortillas cannot be beat by anything you get from the store.
Ingredients for Corn Tortillas
One of the best things about these corn tortillas is that they only require 4 simple ingredients. Unlike some tortillas you might get from the store, you know exactly what’s going into these tortillas. No additives or fillers here, folks! Here’s what you’ll need to snag to make these homemade corn tortillas.
- Yellow masa. This is also labeled as masa harina. You do NOT want to buy cornmeal for these tortillas. It is processed differently and will not create the flavorful corn tortillas we’re aiming for in this recipe.
- Warm water. Aim for warm to hot water for this recipe for the best results.
- Melted duck, chicken, tallow or bacon fat. I’ve found any form of fat works well in this recipe, but if you happen to have beef brisket on the menu, make some Homemade Beef Tallow for this recipe!
- Salt. Skip the table salt and use a nice kosher flake salt for this recipe.
Once you have all your ingredients assembled, you’re ready to start making the dough and forming the tortillas.
How to Grill Corn Tortillas
Here’s how to grill corn tortillas.
- Make the dough. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Slowly add the water until the dough is soft and pliable like Play-Doh.
- Roll out. Roll the dough into a 1 1/2-inch tube or snake-like shape and cut it into 10-12 same-sized pieces. Then roll each piece into a ball.
- Press. Place each dough ball between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap then roll out with a rolling pin or tortilla press, if you’re fancy like that.
- Grill. After you have rolled out all the tortilla dough, place them on a hot oiled griddle or cast iron skillet on your grill preheated to 450 degrees F. Cook for about 45 seconds per side.
- Enjoy. These tortillas are ready to be enjoyed immediately. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Corn Tortillas on the Grill
Hey there, griller! Before you dive into making these corn tortillas on the grill, I have a few tips to help you make the best tortillas possible.
- Adjust the moisture. If you are having trouble with your tortillas breaking, the dough is not wet enough. To make it easier, I use a cup of warm water and dip each dough ball in it (quickly!), and reroll it with my hands to incorporate the water before rolling out to re-moisten.
- Skip the fat. You can omit the fat and replace it with an additional ¼ c water.
- Store as you go. If you are making a bunch of these tortillas and serving them at the same time, keep them warm by wrapping them in a kitchen towel (or a designated tortilla warmer).
More Baked Recipes on the BBQ
Baking doesn’t always have to be done in the oven! You can make all your favorite baked recipes on your favorite BBQ with amazing results. Check out a few of our most popular baked recipes on the BBQ.
Grilled Corn Tortilla Recipe
Follow the recipe below and let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind-the-scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Grilled Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups yellow masa
- 1½ to 2 cups warm water
- ½ cup melted duck, chicken, tallow, or bacon fat
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Preheat. Preheat your grill or a skillet to Medium to Medium-High heat (450 degrees F).
- Make the dough. Combine the masa, warm fat, and salt in a bowl. Next, slowly pour in warm water. You will use at least 1 ½ cup and up to 2 full cups. The amount of water used varies depending on brand of masa and humidity. Continue adding water until the dough is the same consistency as Play-Doh.
- Form into balls. Roll the dough out into a 1 ½ inch snake and cut the dough into 10-12 pieces. Next, roll the dough into balls.
- Roll out. Prior to pressing or rolling the dough out, press it between wax paper or saran wrap to prevent it from sticking. Press the dough with a tortilla press, or roll out with a rolling pin. Start from the center and lightly roll the dough outwards without pressing your rolling pin beyond the edge of the dough. Store rolled tortillas in between the sheets of wax paper to prevent drying or sticking.
- Grill. Once all of your tortillas are rolled out, cook in a very hot oiled skillet (can be done on your grill or stovetop), for about 45 seconds per side. If you want some added char-grilled flavor, cook your tortillas until they change color, but don't brown in your skillet, then move them over to the hot grill grates for an additional 15- 30 seconds per side.
- Enjoy. These tortillas are best enjoyed immediately, but you can always cook, store, and enjoy at a later time.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!