posted August 26, 2021
Homemade Grilled Pizza Dough
If you’ve been on the hunt for the best grilled pizza dough, look no further! This Grilled Pizza Dough is the most delicious dough to use with all your grilled pizza recipes.
Grilled Pizza Dough
There’s something about pizza cooked on a hot grill that just sets it apart from all the others. My family absolutely loves grilled pizza, and today I’m sharing my famous grilled pizza dough recipe!
Seriously, folks. The key to a delicious grilled pizza is starting with the perfect dough. You also have to keep in mind that some dough isn’t going to cook well right on the grill grates. That’s where this dough comes in. I’ve spent some good time creating the recipe so it’ll come off the heat with the perfect consistency every time.
Best Dough for Grilled Pizza
The dough that I prefer using for grilled pizza is an easy yeast dough. While you will need to spend some extra time making this from scratch and allowing the dough to rise, it will be well worth your time.
I highly recommend skipping the store-bought pizza dough when you are planning on cooking your pizza on the grill. Not only will this dough taste better, but it will cook better as well! No one wants a chewy, burnt, or partially uncooked dough when they bite into their pizza. The dough is the foundation of your awesome pizza pie, so better start out with the best recipe!
How to Grill Pizza Dough
As I mentioned earlier, this dough does take a little bit of extra time and effort, but it’s sooooo worth it. After that first bite, you’ll be adding this recipe to your weekly rotation.
- Make the dough. Combine water and yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the olive oil and salt and mix for 5-7 minutes. Next, add in 1 cup of flour at a time while mixing until the dough is nice and smooth.
- Rise. Divide the dough into 8 equal balls (for personal-sized pizzas) or 4 balls for larger pizzas (will serve 2-4 people, depending on how hungry you are!). Lightly oil a baking sheet so the dough won’t stick, and place the balls on the sheet. Rise for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Shape the crust. Coat your hands with olive oil, and shape the balls into a disk. Focus on getting the dough nice and even so any thinner spots don’t burn on the grill. No need to create a crust at this point.
- Grill! Preheat your preferred grill (I like charcoal when cooking pizza) for two-zone cooking with the direct heat side to 500 degrees F (yup, get that guy nice and hot!). Place the dough on the direct heat and grill with the lid open for 2-3 minutes.
- Add toppings and finish cooking. Flip the crust to the indirect heat side of the grill. Add your toppings, close the lid, and finish cooking for another 4-5 minutes. Rotate the pizza as needed so the crust cooks evenly. You can place the pizza back over the direct heat if you want extra crispy crust. Enjoy!
This dough will work with pretty much any pizza you plan on cooking on the grill. I’ve linked a few of my favorite recipes below! Make sure to check them out and let me know what you think! You can also watch the video in the recipe card below where we use this dough to make my favorite BBQ chicken pizza!
More Pizza Recipes
Now that you have this delicious pizza dough recipe on hand, you’re ready to try it out with some amazing pizzas! These grilled pizza recipes are popular ones on Hey Grill Hey. Check them out today!
Grilled Pizza Dough Recipe
So there you have it. A simple, yet amazingly delicious grilled pizza dough recipe that makes the perfect base for all your BBQ pizza recipes! If you loved this post, make sure to leave us a comment below, or check us out on any of our social media websites to connect with us!
Grilled Pizza Dough
- 1 ⅔ cup warm water (between 100-110 degrees F)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast (1 packet)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Make the dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water and the yeast. Allow this mixture to sit for 5 minutes until the yeast has dissolved and started to bubble. Pour in the olive oil and salt. Using the dough hook of an electric mixer, mix on slow for 5-7 minutes, adding 1 cup of flour at a time, until the dough has a smooth surface and bounces back slowly when you press your finger into it.
- Allow the dough to rise. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal balls for individual pizzas or 4 balls for larger pizzas that will serve 2 people. I don't recommend making your dough balls any larger than this or they can be difficult to maneuver on the grill. Place the balls on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled, cover with a damp towel, and let rise somewhere warm for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Preheat your grill for two zone cooking. Allow the direct heat side to get very hot (above 500 degrees F is great)!
- Shape the crust. Coat the palms of your hands lightly with olive oil and shape one of the risen dough balls into a disk. Slowly work your hands around the outside edges of the dough pulling and stretching gently. You want the dough to be an even thickness all around (don't worry about creating a "crust" around the outside edges).
- Cook the pizza dough. Place the stretched dough on the grill grates over the direct heat. Grill with the lid open for 2-3 minutes until the bottom is browned and bubbles are starting to rise on the top. Quickly flip the crust over onto the indirect side of the grill and start layering on your desired pizza toppings.
- Finish baking. Close the lid on the grill and cook for 4-5 more minutes. Feel free to open the lid and rotate the pizza as needed to keep the crust cooking evenly on the bottom. If you like a super crispy crust, carefully slide the pizza over to the direct side of the grill for an additional minute.
- Slice and serve. Use a big spatula to transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Slice and serve! Repeat the pizza grilling process as desired with the additional dough balls.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!