posted November 25, 2020
Homemade Rolls on the Grill
These Homemade Rolls are baked right on your grill, making them the perfect compliment to all your main BBQ dishes. They’re fluffy and oh-so buttery and ready in a flash!
Homemade Dinner Rolls
Who doesn’t love a warm, buttery roll with dinner? A good roll served alongside some tasty Grilled Vegetables or topped with Smoked Pulled Pork simply can’t be beat.
This recipe for homemade dinner rolls is a quick and easy way to make those perfect rolls. From start to finish (including rising time) these rolls will be ready in just over an hour. Anytime you have a hankering for warm, homemade rolls, look no further than this foolproof recipe!
Dinner Rolls Baked on the Grill
The thing I love most about grilling is how versatile it is. Anything you can cook or bake in the oven, you can bake on a grill. Just make sure you are able to keep your grill at a consisted temperature over indirect heat (a pellet grill is great for this!), and you’re good to go.
As with everything else on Hey Grill Hey, I knew I needed a good recipe for homemade rolls that can be cooked on the grill, and these ones hit the mark. This recipe is adapted for the grill from my friend, Rachel, at The Stay At Home Chef. For an oven version of this recipe, check out the original at https://thestayathomechef.com/quick-yeast-rolls/.
How to Cook Homemade Rolls on the Grill
Here’s how to make some amazing homemade rolls on your grill:
- Mix the dough. These rolls are made with instant dry yeast and come together quickly. Combine all ingredients and mix until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. Bam. Easy and done.
- Form the rolls. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and form them into nice, smooth balls. Next, arrange the balls of dough evenly and neatly in a 12″ cast iron skillet. This will serve as your baking dish and your serving dish if you want to keep dishes to a minimum.
- Rise. Cover the skillet with a clean dish towel and allow the rolls to rise for 20-30 minutes. Make sure your skillet is in a warm location (around 90 degrees F) to allow the rolls to rise well.
- Bake. Once the rolls are nice and tall, bake them in your preferred grill or oven preheated to 400 degrees F. Bake the rolls for 25 or until the tops are a perfect golden brown.
- Serve. Allow the rolls to cool a bit before serving. Brush the tops with melted butter and a sprinkle of coarse salt, and enjoy!
Tips for Making Homemade Rolls
Hey BBQ friends, just a few tips for making these homemade rolls before you dive in.
- Longer rise. For a higher rise and bigger rolls, let them raise for 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes.
- Use instant active yeast. Make sure and use instant yeast for this recipe. Regular yeast requires a much longer proofing time, and this recipe was made to be ready in time for dinner.
- Mix up flavors! I like to keep mine simple with melted butter and a sprinkle of flaky salt, but you can get creative here. Try these rolls topped with garlic and herb butter or even a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake anywhere. You can cook these rolls pretty much anywhere. I cooked mine on a pellet grill, but they work beautifully on the upper rack of a gas grill, indirect on a charcoal grill, or in your oven. Simply preheat to the same temperature specified in the recipe and you’re good to go.
Now scroll below to the printable recipe to dive into these amazing rolls. Oh, and make sure to make a double batch. These guys will go fast!
More Baked Sides on the Grill
Rolls aren’t the only baked good you can make on the grill. Try out some of these other popular recipes from Hey Grill Hey!
- Grilled Pound Cake with Grilled Cinnamon Peaches
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Rosemary Parmesan Focaccia Bread
Grilled Homemade Rolls Recipe
Homemade Rolls on the Grill
- 1 Tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons salted butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ - 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon course flake salt
- Make the dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, honey, 1/4 cup of the melted butter, egg, and salt. Mix gently to combine.
- Finish mixing the dough. Stir the flour into the yeast mixture, one cup at a time, mixing until the flour is completely incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of your mixing bowl.
- Form the dough into rolls. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each into a smooth ball. Use the remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted butter to lightly coat the inside of a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Place the rolls into the buttered skillet, spacing them evenly to allow room to rise.
- Allow the dough to rise. Cover the skillet with a clean dish towel and set in a warm area (close to 90 degrees F) and rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. In the meantime, preheat your pellet grill (or other grill set up for indirect cooking) to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the rolls. Once the rolls have risen for 30 minutes, remove the dish towel and place the skillet onto the grill grates. Close the grill lid and bake for 25 minutes. The rolls are done when the tops of the rolls are golden brown and the rolls are nice and fluffy.
- Serve warm. Brush the rolls with 2 Tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle the tops with coarse flake salt. Serve warm in the skillet and enjoy!
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!