posted September 14, 2021
Green Chile Pork Fatty
My Green Chile Pork Fatty is literally bursting at the bacon seams with creamy, cheesy, chile-filled goodness! It’s hard to turn down a slice of this awesome pork fatty at dinnertime! So grab some family and friends and smoke up an awesome pork fatty for mealtime this week!
I think a good fatty is a landmark recipe for any burgeoning pitmaster. Everybody does theirs differently, from sweet rubs and BBQ sauces, to spicy and savory, there is a fatty for all types of meat lovers.
The first fatty I ever posted on Hey Grill Hey was a Triple Pork Breakfast Fatty filled with cheesy, ham-laced scrambled eggs. After that, I fell in love with the fatty. There, I said it. I’m a fatty lover. A big fatty lover.
How to Make a Green Chile Pork Fatty
This particular fatty was created out of nothing but pure love for my fatty-lovin’ husband (we make a good pair) who also has a real thing for green chiles. It takes a bit of effort to make, but believe me when I say the flavors are well worth the extra effort.
- Bacon weave. We start with a simple bacon weave. Check my post for How to Make a Bacon Weave if it’s your first time making one of these. Don’t use bacon that is sliced too thick or too thin. Too thick means rubbery, chewy bacon. Too thin and it kind of falls apart and won’t hold in the filling.
- Layer the goods. Next, spread on a tasty mix of pork sausage, green chiles, and taco seasoning. You can use your favorite taco seasoning, or use my Fiesta Rub. Fill that fatty with cream cheese, sour cream, a little more taco seasoning, cheese, and even more green chiles!
- Roll the pork fatty. The secret to a good fatty is a tight roll, so make sure you work quickly so your bacon stays chilled and the filling doesn’t soften too much. You wanna keep all that good filling in the middle where it belongs.
You’ve now got a nice pork fatty ready to head into the heat. I’ve provided cooking instructions in the next section, so you can choose to cook this however you please.
Cooking a Pork Fatty
Last up is the cooking method. I recommend cooking this fatty in either the oven or smoker.
- Oven. Technically, you can bake this green chile pork fatty in the oven. Just follow the time and temp guidelines in the recipe below.
- Smoker. Emotionally, you really need to make this fatty in your smoker. A fatty like this deserves to be smoked! Do what you gotta do to get this beautiful masterpiece on a smoker for the cooking time. I like to do my fatties on my pellet grill, just for the ease of consistent temps and smoke, but if you’re doing this on any other offset smoker just shoot for a temperature around 275 degrees F and smoke for 2-3 hours. I recommend hickory or oak wood chips or pellets with this particular recipe.
This pork fatty is done when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. The recipe below calls for 2-3 hours cook time because each fatty is a little different in thickness and takes a different amount of time to come up to temperature. Your best bet is to get an internal thermometer (I have always recommended ThermoWorks products for their consistency) and cook for temperature instead of time.
More Fatty Recipes
Fancy yourself a fatty expert? Then check out my other fatty recipes below!
Green Chile Pork Fatty Recipe
This green chile pork fatty is now ready to grace your plates at dinnertime! I hope you love it as much as we do.
Things look a bit different? We’ve made a few changes around here! This post was originally published in March 2017. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
Green Chile Pork Fatty
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 4.5-ounce can green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Fiesta Rub (or your favorite taco seasoning)
- ¼ cup green enchilada sauce (for basting)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 4.5-ounce can green chiles
- 1 cup marbled cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- queso fresco (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Make a bacon weave. On a large work surface, lay out a flat piece of plastic wrap. Begin construction your bacon weave in a 5x5 pattern, overlapping each piece.
- Make the sausage. In a medium bowl, combine the pork sausage, green chiles, and 1 teaspoon of the Fiesta Rub. Don't overmix, stir until just combined. Use your hands or the back side of a spoon to spread the sausage mixture over the bacon weave, leaving about an inch of the bacon exposed on all sides.
- Add the cream cheese filling. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, chiles, cheese, and 1 teaspoon of the Fiesa Rub. Spread over the sausage mixture.
- Wrap the fatty. Lift up one edge of the saran wrap and carefully roll the fatty together. Make sure all of the bacon edges are overlapping on the bottom and both ends. Use toothpicks to secure the ends, if necessary.
- Smoke the pork fatty. Prepare your smoker for indirect grilling at 275 degrees F and allow to preheat. Remove your fatty from the plastic wrap and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning. Place your fatty with the bacon seam side down on your smoker, close the lid and cook for approximately 2-3 hours or until the internal temperature reads 155 degrees F using an accurate thermometer. The time will vary for each fatty based on thickness, etc. so it is important to watch the temperature of the meat instead of planning for exact cooking time.
- Serve. Baste the fatty with the green enchilada sauce and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove the fatty to a cutting board and sprinkle with the queso fresco while still hot. Allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing into rounds and serving with fresh lime wedges.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!