posted January 20, 2021
Bacon Wrapped Pickles
Whether you enjoy these as an appetizer, side, or tasty snack, my recipe for Bacon Wrapped Pickles is anything but ordinary. These pickles provide a great balance with sweet, sour, and smoky goodness.
Bacon Wrapped Pickle Spears
If you’ve even been on the hunt for an awesome side or appetizer that will intrigue and satisfy your guests, these bacon wrapped pickle spears are a winner. Crunchy pickles combined with crispy bacon make for the most unforgettable snack.
Better yet, make up a large batch of these for the big game, or have them on hand during a warm summer evening BBQ or campout. Serve with creamy ranch or sweet BBQ sauce to make the flavor combos endless.
Oh, and don’t knock these till you’ve tried them, my friend. It may sound a bit odd to snack on a bacon wrapped pickle, but once you’ve had one, you’ll wonder how you ever lived life without them.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Pickles
It doesn’t get much easier than this 4-step process to making bacon wrapped pickles. A bit of time and effort are all you need to enjoy this tasty snack.
- Wrap. Evenly wrap each pickle with one slice of bacon. Secure each end of the bacon with toothpicks (remember to remove these prior to serving or alert your guests to the toothpicks so no one gets a nasty surprise!)
- Season. These pickles can be seasoned with just about anything, but they taste best with my Signature Sweet Rub or my Homemade Veggie Shake. My veggie shake is sugar free for those of you watching your added sugar intake. I recommend trying both and deciding which seasoning you like best.
- Smoke. With your smoker preheated to 275 degrees F, smoke the pickles for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Watch the bacon during this step and remove when it is crisped to your liking.
- Enjoy. These pickles are great right off the grill. You can enjoy them as-is, or dip them in some tasty ranch dressing or your favorite BBQ sauce (Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce was KILLER with these!).
If you plan on serving these at a party, I recommend having a few different dipping sauces on hand so your guests can enjoy a variety of flavors.
Tips for Making Bacon Wrapped Pickles
Before you dive into the printable recipe below, check out these tips to help you make the most of your bacon wrapped pickles.
- Bacon thickness. Super thick bacon can be hard to wrap and will result in a softer, chewier bacon texture. Thin bacon will crisp up the fastest and is the easiest to wrap. Classic bacon will give you a combo of crispy and chewy that I like. Choose your own bacon adventure.
- Keep it sugar free. If you’re watching carbs and sugar intake, this recipe is super easy to adapt! Use my veggie shake instead of the Sweet Rub. The bright herbs (including dill) are an awesome accompaniment to the pickles. Just be sure to snag sugar free bacon and pickles to make it all sugar free!
- Cook to Texture. Since the bacon will be cooked through relatively quickly and the pickles don’t need to hit a specific temperature to be food safe, you’re really cooking to texture on this recipe. Cooking for 1 hour at 275 degrees F on your smoker should give you a good balance of crispy bacon edges and chewy pieces next to the pickles. If you want it crispier, pull the pickles off the smoker after 1 hour, place them on a cooking sheet and pop them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to really crisp up that bacon.
As always, I love seeing how you make these recipes your own and share them with friends and family. Make sure to leave a comment below once you’ve tried this recipe out for yourself!
Popular Bacon Wrapped Recipes
When in doubt, wrap it in bacon! These recipes are made even better with a good helping of nothing other than bacon. You just gotta try them!
Pickles Wrapped in Bacon Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Pickles
- 8 dill pickle spears
- 4 slices bacon (cut in half)
- 1 Tablespoon Signature Sweet Rub (or Homemade Veggie Shake - recipe in comments)
- Preheat the smoker. Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F with your favorite hardwood.
- Wrap the pickles. Wrap each pickle spear in one of the bacon pieces. Secure tightly with toothpicks.
- Season with Sweet Rub. Season the bacon wrapped pickle spears with Sweet Rub (or Homemade Veggie Shake) lightly on all sides.
- Smoke the bacon wrapped pickles. Place the bacon wrapped pickles directly on the grates of your preheated smoker and close the lid. Smoke for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how crispy you like your bacon. If you want even more crunch on your bacon, you can broil your bacon wrapped pickle spears for 2-3 minutes after they come off of the smoker.
- Remove from heat and serve. Serve with ranch dressing or your favorite BBQ sauce for an awesome appetizer or snack.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad