posted September 02, 2020
Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
These Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings are everything you could ever want and more from a side dish. If you’re a fan of onion rings, DO NOT pass this recipe up! It’s a little ring of pure, unadulterated goodness (wrapped in bacon!).
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
These bacon wrapped onion rings need no introduction. They’re the hit of the party and you won’t be able to stop at just one. These guys are cooked in the smoker, so you don’t have to stress over hot oil and a greasy mess.
Before you begin making these delicious morsels, you’ll need to pick up a few things from the grocery. All you need for these onion rings are onions, bacon, and my Best Sweet Rub. You can make this sweet rub at home, or purchase some pre-made and delivered to your door from Patio Provisions.
That’s it! Three ingredients and some good smoking are all that stand between you and these bacon wrapped onion rings.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
The process for making bacon wrapped onion rings is extremely simple. And since you’re not dealing with batter or oil, you’ll save some serious time and effort.
- Cut. Slice your rings into good, thick slices. Aim for all your slices to be around 3/4″. Keep two rings together as seen in the picture above. This allows for sturdier onions when they hit the grill.
- Wrap. Wrap the entire onion with a slice of bacon, tucking the ends in or using toothpicks to secure. Use as much bacon as you need to fully cover the onion.
- Season. After you have your onion rings lovingly wrapped in bacon, season them on all sides with Sweet Rub.
- Smoke. With your smoker preheated to 275 degrees F, place the wrapped onion rings directly on the grill grates and cook for 75-90 minutes, depending on how crisp you want your bacon. Remove when the bacon is fully cooked to your preference.
- Eat! Allow the bacon wrapped onion rings to cool slightly before serving. These guys are great enjoyed alongside a Smoked Hamburger, on a burger or sandwich, or chopped up in anything you desire.
Tips for Making Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Check out these handy tips for making these onion rings before scrolling below for the full printable recipe. Trust me when I say these tips will help you get the best cooked onion rings around.
- Wrap carefully. Make sure to tuck the bacon nice and tight so it doesn’t come unraveled when it goes on the smoker. You can also use toothpicks, but you’ll need to keep track of how many are in each onion ring so you can remove them before serving.
- Choose your doneness. If you like softer bacon, start checking for doneness after the onion rings have been in the smoker for around 75 minutes. For bacon that is fully rendered with a slight crisp, cook for 90 minutes. If you want those rings extremely crispy, crank the heat to 400 degrees F for the last few minutes to give them that good, hard crunch.
- Use regular bacon. You don’t need to get fancy with the bacon you use for these onion rings. Regular thickness works great. If you want crispy bacon in less time, go ahead and select a thinner slice of bacon.
More Bacon Wrapped BBQ
There’s truly nothing better than food wrapped in other food. Bacon wrapped BBQ is, quite possibly, the tastiest treat around. If you’re a fan of all things wrapped in bacon, check out a few of my favorite recipes below:
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Hot Dogs
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Apples
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 Tablespoons Signature Sweet Rub
- Preheat the smoker. Preheat your smoker to 275 degrees F.
- Slice the onion into rings. Slice your onions into 3/4 inch thick slices. Separate the rings so that two rings remain together, this will give you sturdier onion rings that will hold up during cooking. You will likely get two rings out of each slice. Discard or save the smaller inside sections of the onions for stock, soup, etc.
- Wrap the onion rings in bacon and season. Wrap each onion ring with a slice of bacon. The larger rings may require two pieces of bacon to cover them completely. Tuck the ends of the bacon, or secure with a toothpick, if necessary. Season all sides of the bacon wrapped onion ring with sweet rub.
- Smoke the bacon wrapped onion rings. Place the onion rings on the smoker and close the lid. Plan to smoke for 90 minutes total. Flip the onion rings at the 45 minute mark, and then start checking for doneness after 75 minutes. If you like softer bacon, you can pull these off sooner, or if you like your bacon more rendered and slightly crisp, let them go a bit longer. After 90 minutes, you'll have nicely rendered, bite through bacon with a slight crisp. If you want crispier bacon, you can increase the heat on your grill or smoker to 400 degrees F for the last few minutes, just keep an eye on the sugars in the seasoning so they don't burn.
- Cool and serve. Remove your finished bacon wrapped onion rings from the smoker and allow to cool just slightly before serving. Fantastic as a side dish, appetizer, or topping for a burger.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!