posted October 05, 2019
Smoked Pork Tenderloin
This Smoked Pork Tenderloin is extremely easy to cook and can be cooked with a variety of flavors, spices, and sauces. It’s a great weekday dinner option, and can even be fancied up for special occasions.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin
As I mentioned above, smoked pork tenderloin is extremely easy to make. Truly, ease is the name of the game with pork tenderloin. You don’t have to do a lot for it to turn out awesome. It’s a very lean cut of pork , and you can really have fun with the flavor profiles you use when smoking.
When cooking pork tenderloin, I find that smoking it is a great way to cook such a lean cut of meat. Smoking it low and slow adds flavor without needing a ton of fat in the meat (perfect for tenderloin!). Also, pork tenderloin is readily available at the grocery store and constantly going on sale. If you keep an eye out, you’ll likely find some for a great price.
My preferred wood of choice to use when cooking pork tenderloin is always apple. Apple and pork go together like peanut butter and jelly, and apple wood adds the perfect flavor compliment to the pork.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin Rub
I used my Signature Sweet Rub on this smoked pork tenderloin. You can purchase the rub pre-made from my store, Patio Provisions, or you can use my recipe for Best Sweet Rub on this site to make your own. This week rub is the perfect combination of sweet and savory with just a touch of heat. It’s a perfect flavor for this smoked pork tenderloin.
When it comes to BBQ sauce for this pork, I went with my Whiskey Peach BBQ Sauce. Similar to my Sweet Rub, you can make your own Whiskey Peach BBQ Sauce following my recipe on this site, or you can purchase a pre-made bottled of Whiskey Peach delivered straight to your door.
How to Smoke Pork Tenderloin
Smoking pork tenderloin takes around 1 hour to complete. If I’m in a hurry I will increase the temp on my smoker (and you can too!), but I love when the full flavor that comes from allowing the tenderloin to smoke low and slow. Remember, the longer the meat is on the smoker, the more flavor it’ll have from the smoke.
Here’s how you do it:
- Trim the pork. Prior to seasoning, use a sharp knife to remove excess fat and silver skin from the pork tenderloin.
- Preheat your smoker. Get that smoke going and aim for your smoker to be around 225 degrees F.
- Add some flavor! Season your pork tenderloin on all sides with my Signature Sweet Rub.
- Smoke that pork! Place the pork on the grill, close the lid, and smoke the pork tenderloin until the internal temperature reads 135 degrees F.
- Add the sauce. Time to lather on your favorite BBQ Sauce. I used my Whiskey Peach BBQ Sauce for this recipe (you can buy a bottle or make your own at home), but use whatever is your absolute favorite. Close the lid on the smoker and continue to cook the pork until the internal temp reaches 145 degrees F. Remove immediately.
- Slice and serve. Slice the pork against the grain into 1/2 inch thick medallions. Serve immediately and enjoy.
How Long to Smoke Pork Tenderloin
It takes about 1 hour to smoke pork tenderloin. This time will vary slightly based on the thickness of your tenderloin and the consistency of the temperature in your smoker. I highly recommend using an internal thermometer to track the internal doneness of the tenderloin, that way you don’t have to guess it is finished cooking.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin Temp
Smoked pork tenderloin needs to be cooked until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. I prefer to cook mine to 135 degrees F, baste on all sides with my favorite BBQ sauce, then allow the sauce to tighten while the pork tenderloin climbs those last 10 degrees. Remember to remove the meat promptly at 145 degrees, as the meat can dry out quickly past this magic number.
More Pork Tenderloin Recipes
Pork tenderloin is one of my all-time favorite recipes to make. It’s tender, sweet, and works well with so many different rubs, sauces, and more. Check out more of my delicious pork tenderloin recipes on the site:
Smoked Pork Tenderloin Recipe
Follow the recipe, and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own smoked pork tenderloin at home. Hey Grill Hey is dedicated to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes and videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page.
Smoked Pork Tenderloin
- Remove your pork tenderloins from the package and use a sharp knife to remove any excess fat and silver skin.
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Season the tenderloins on all sides with the sweet rub. Place the tenderloins on the grill, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature of the tenderloins reaches 135 degrees F.
- Baste on all sides with BBQ Sauce. I like to use my Whiskey Peach BBQ Sauce, but you are welcome to use whatever is your favorite. Cook until the internal temperature of the tenderloin reaches 145 degrees F and the sauce tightens up.
- Remove the pork tenderloin from the grill. Slice against the grain in 1/2 inch medallions. Serve immediately.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad