posted August 28, 2023
These grilled tomatoes are extremely flavorful and super easy to make. If you’re looking for a tasty side dish that is going to be ready in 10 minutes or less, add these to your menu this week!
These grilled tomatoes are just bursting with flavor. Sweet, juicy tomatoes are drizzled with olive oil and roasted over a high-heat grill that creates perfect caramelized, crispy edges and unbelievably juicy insides.
This recipe for grilled tomatoes keeps things as simple as possible with a light seasoning and a quick cook on the grill. Once you pull them out of the heat, you can serve these however you please. They are great in salads, sliced in sandwiches, or topped with some Parmesan or balsamic vinegar.
Ingredients for Grilled Tomatoes
It doesn’t get much easier than these grilled tomatoes. Not only are they ready in a flash, but they only require 3 ingredients. Here’s what you need to make these grilled tomatoes.
- 6 medium Roma tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Hey Grill Hey Fish & Veggie Rub
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
That’s it! These tomatoes are really simple and don’t require a lot of fuss. Also, Fish & Veggie Rub can be purchased from the Hey Grill Hey Store and shipped directly to your home for added ease. If you’re just dying to make these tomatoes and you don’t have any Fish & Veggie Rub on hand, you can make a similar seasoning blend from scratch using my recipe for Homemade Vegetable Seasoning.
How to Grill Tomatoes
Once you have all your ingredients assembled, you’re ready to grill some tomatoes! Here’s a quick summary of how to grill these tomatoes. For a full printable recipe card with ingredients list, links, and instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Preheat. Fire up the grill and allow it to preheat to medium-high heat. This will be around 450-500 degrees F. Prepare the tomatoes while giving your grill plenty of time to come to the correct temperature.
- Season. Slice the tomatoes, then season with olive oil followed by Fish & Veggie Rub.
- Grill. Grill the tomatoes for 4-5 minutes per side. Keep an eye on them and remove them earlier or later as needed to get them cooked to your preferred doneness.
- Enjoy. Dig in to this delicious side dish! Check out the next section for a few suggestions on how to enjoy these tomatoes.
How Long to Grill Tomatoes
It doesn’t take long to grill tomatoes. In fact, it will only take around 8-10 minutes to cook these tomatoes on the grill.
Once they are seasoned, grill them for 4-5 minutes on each side before removing and serving. You can adjust this time as needed depending on how quickly your tomatoes cook and how much char you like on your veggies.
Tips for Grilling Tomatoes
Hang tight here for just a moment! Before you jump down into the recipe card, I have a few nuggets of knowledge for you. Here are some tips for grilling these tomatoes.
- Use Roma tomatoes. They are firmer and less watery than other varieties of tomatoes. You can use heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes if that’s what you’ve got on hand. I just recommend you remove the pulp and seeds to help mitigate some of the excess moisture content in those varieties.
- Slice vertically. Slicing from stem to tip gives you the most surface area for your tomatoes to have access to the grill. More surface area=more flavor across the entire tomato.
- Dress as desired. These tomatoes are great on their own, but we love to serve them with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, some grated parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. You could also layer them on a platter with fresh mozzarella cheese for a new take on a caprese salad.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
I may be biased, but I think vegetables cooked on the grill far surpass vegetables cooked anywhere else. If you’re a big fan of grilled vegetables, you need to try out these other recipes from Hey Grill Hey.
Grilled Tomatoes Recipe
Once you finish smoking and enjoying this recipe, be sure to come back to this post and leave us a comment letting us know how it turned out. Hey Grill Hey is dedicated to creating an environment of supportive and backyard-friendly BBQers that are here to help you become a backyard BBQ hero.
- 6 Roma tomatoes (sliced in half vertically)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Hey Grill Hey Fish & Veggie Rub (recipe link in notes section)
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to medium-high (around 450-500 degrees F).
- Season. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season on all sides with the Fish & Veggie Rub.
- Grill. Place the tomatoes on the grill, skin side down, and grill for 4-5 minutes. Flip and sear the cut side of the tomatoes for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Enjoy. Remove the tomatoes to a platter and top with garnishes as desired.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!