Grilled Potato Salad adds a delicious grilled element to the classic, homemade bowl of potato salad. By grilling the potatoes, you add a crispy crunch to the creamy potatoes for a well-rounded side dish.
Potato salad is a must-have side dish to just about any BBQ entree. And today, we’re not just whipping up some regular old potato salad. No, no! We’re going to GRILL potato salad. By par-boiling then grilling the potatoes, they come out creamy on the inside and crispy and crunchy on the outside.
Throwing them on the grill also adds a much-needed BBQ flavor. These potatoes mixed with hard boiled eggs, crisp dressing, crunchy bacon, and fresh herbs make this the ultimate potato salad. It’s perfectly balanced with creamy, crunchy, and crisp texture to make every bite enjoyable.
How to Make Grilled Potato Salad
Making grilled potato salad is a pretty easy venture. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be eating some yummy potato salad in no time!
- Boil the potatoes. Boil baby red potatoes for 5-7 minutes.
- Get those potatoes on the grill. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them on a grill preheated to 450 degrees F cut side down and grill for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Chill potatoes. Remove potatoes from the grill, place in a large bowl, and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Make the dressing. In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing.
- Mix it up! Add the cooked bacon and hard boiled eggs to the large bowl with the potatoes. Pour the dressing on, and stir gently to combine. Serve chilled.
Grilled Potato Salad Ingredients
This grilled potato salad uses these delicious, fresh ingredients. Each ingredient works together and they all compliment each other. It isn’t the most traditional potato salad dressing, but the flavors are amazing!
- Baby red potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Cooked bacon
- Hard boiled eggs
- Sour cream
- Whole grain mustard
- Parsley, dill, and green onions
- Lemon juice
Grilled Potato Salad Dressing
This potato salad dressing is super creamy and light. It’s not heavy, like you get from an all-mayo dressing. This recipe uses mayo, sour cream, and whole grain mustard to give you the perfect balanced based. You also get these little pops of mustard seed in the salad that are a wonderful surprise.
I also feel it’s important to use lots of fresh herbs and spices in this dressing to keep the dressing bright and refreshing. Fresh dill, parsley, and green onions work well to compliment the rich char flavor from the grill as well as the crispy buttery potatoes.
More Grilled Sides
Looking for more sides to compliment your steak or ribs? Look no further!
Grilled Potato Salad Recipe
Follow the recipe, and let’s make some really good food! Hey Grill Hey is here to help you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a BBQ hero. Head on over to YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook for more behind the scenes action!
Love Hey Grill Hey’s amazing flavors? Patio Provisions has delicious sauces and rubs that are delivered straight to your door!
Grilled Potato Salad
- 6 hard boiled eggs, (roughly chopped)
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1 pound cooked bacon, (roughly chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Grilled Potato Salad Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf Italian parsley, (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, (minced)
- 1 bunch green onions, (chopped)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in 1 Tablespoon salt and whole baby red potatoes. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the water and carefully cut in half. Drizzle with olive oil and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F for direct heat grilling.
- Place potatoes cut side down on the grill grates and grill for 3-5 minutes. Flip and grill for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and allow them to cool. Transfer them to a large bowl and chill completely in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the cooked bacon and hard boiled eggs to the large bowl with the potatoes. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir gently to combine. Serve chilled.