posted September 30, 2019
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tomato Salad is a great end of summer recipe. It’s fresh, herbaceous, and makes an AMAZING side dish for grilled meat.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Before we jump into the ins and outs of this tasty cucumber and tomato salad, I’ve gotta give props to my husband Todd for this one. This whole salad recipe comes compliments of him. When he lived in Germany a while back, he became obsessed with these seasoning packets that were sold by Knorr. They were easy to make, and he could whip them up in a matter of minutes. When poured over fresh vegetables, they made a delicious (and nutritious!) snack, meal, or side dish.
When he got back to the states, he had a difficult time finding these dill flavor packets (and when he did find them, they were often expensive!). To help remedy this situation and satisfy Todd’s dill and vegetable craving, I decided to create my own fresh cucumber and tomato salad with a crisp and herb-flavored dressing.
This salad combines crunchy cucumbers, sweet tomatoes, and sharp raw red onions to create a beautifully balanced salad. The lemon dill dressing sets this salad apart from all the others, and makes it delicious and rather addictive. It’s light, crisp, and oh-so refreshing.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Dressing
This dressing is inspired by those German Knorr seasoning packets that my husband holds so near and dear. It’s made with fresh herbs, olive oil, salt, and sugar. That’s all! You won’t believe that something so simple tastes so amazing!
Here’s what you’ll need to have on hand to make this cucumber tomato salad dressing:
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Parsley
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- White Sugar
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
This salad is one of the easiest salads you’ll ever make. It’s a good one to print out and save for later. Think of it as your own perfect salad to bring to parties and get-togethers when you only have a few minutes to prepare.
- Prep the veggies. Begin by slicing and chopping all your vegetables. You are welcome to cut the veggies any way you like, but I prefer my cucumber and tomato sliced and my tomato chopped.
- Make the dressing. In a separate bowl or container, combine the ingredients for the tomato cucumber salad dressing.
- Make the salad. Pour the dressing over the veggies and mix well to combine and ensure that all veggies are coated.
- Refrigerate and serve. Place the salad in the fridge and allow to cool and set for 2-3 hours. If you don’t have the extra time to spare, by all means, go ahead and enjoy this salad right away. I prefer the way this salad tastes after being allowed to sit and chill for a while.
More Salad Recipes for BBQ
Salad makes a perfect side for BBQ. And since Hey Grill Hey is all about the BBQ, we like to help you make your meals well-rounded with some tasty (and occasionally healthy) salads and sides to serve alongside your amazing BBQ. Check out some of our favorites below:
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
Let’s make something delicious! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 large English cucumber (sliced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- ¼ cup red onion (thinly sliced)
Lemon Dill Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives (minced)
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of half a lemon
- Prepare your vegetables and place them in a bowl that is large enough that you can stir without spilling.
- Combine all the ingredients for the lemon dill dressing in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Pour the dressing over the cut vegetables and stir gently to coat all the vegetables with the dressing.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool for 2-3 hours. You can eat this fresh, but I prefer it after the vegetables have had time to sit in the dressing.
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad