Cheesy Steak Fajita Rolls are the perfect mouthful of tender marinated steak, grilled veggies, and melted cheese. I don’t know what it is exactly about food that is wrapped up in other food that makes it taste so much better than food that is simply thrown on top of other food. But it is definitely something. Maybe it’s the feeling that somebody cared enough about your food to make sure it would be comfortable and safe. Those veggies were lovingly wrapped up tight in a nice beefy blankie.
Or maybe it is just that wrapped food tastes good! It’s got so many layers of flavor, how could it not? Take these Cheesy Steak Fajita Rolls for example. They consist of seasoned grilled veggies and loads of melty cheese all rolled up in marinated thinly sliced steak. Topped with a squeeze of fresh lime and served on a bed of rice and beans, this meal screams love and flavor. Maybe that should be the rolled foods motto. Love and Flavor! And toothpicks.
I grilled my veggies up in a grill basket (like these) to prevent any of those perfectly sliced peppers and onions from falling through the grates. Grill baskets have been one of my best investments to date, I use them for everything from veggies to shrimp. Anything small enough to slip through the grate goes straight in a basket. All the grilled flavor, none of the lost food sacrificed to the grilling gods.
These rolled up fajita seasoned steak things (name option #2) were such a hit come dinner time. It’s like taco night on freakin’ steroids without the thick neck and anger issues. We all ate them different ways. One person rolled them up inside a tortilla for the ultimate steak burrito with the perfect portions of steak and onions/peppers/cheese in every bite. Another went traditional with a fork and knife. And yet another used the steak as the taco shell and just ate them street food style leaning over a napkin.
- 2 lbs thinly sliced sirloin tip steaks
- 1 yellow onion sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 2 cups sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice about 4 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a large zip top bag or other container. Add the steak to the marinade and stir well to be sure the marinade in covering all of the slices. Allow the steak to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 4.
- When ready to cook, start of your grill on medium high. Place all of the vegetables in a grill basket or on a grill mat and grill for 5-6 minutes.
- While the vegetables are grilling, remove the steak from the marinade and shake off any excess. Lay the steak flat and top each with about 1/3 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill (leave the grill on) and divide evenly among the steak.
- Roll each steak around the cheese and vegetables and secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Place each steak roll on the grill, seam side down, and grill for 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from the grill and allow the steak rolls to rest for 4-5 minutes before serving.
Grill Used: Any grill works great with these! Gas, charcoal, pellet grill, or a grill pan.