posted September 08, 2021
Maple Bourbon BBQ Salmon
This Maple Bourbon BBQ Salmon is the perfect, sweet salmon for a quick weekday meal. With only 4 ingredients, and less than 30 minutes from prep to eating, this BBQ salmon is one you’ll come back to again and again.
BBQ Glazed Salmon
This method for simple grilled BBQ salmon is designed for hot and fast grilling on a classic grill. Easy tricks help the salmon pick up all the BBQ flavor from the grill without sticking or overcooking.
I love me some low and slow BBQ, but there are often those busy days when I’m on the struggle bus, and I need to get dinner on the table fast. This BBQ glazed salmon is one of those recipes that is super low-prep and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients for BBQ Salmon
You only need a few ingredients for this salmon. And while the rub and glaze do require a few extra ingredients, you can always buy them directly from our store to save some major time.
- Salmon filets. I find that salmon fillets with the skin on works really well for this recipe. If you only have salmon with the skin-off, that’s fine as well.
- Avocado oil. I always oil my grill grates with a high heat oil like avocado oil prior to grilling so the fish don’t stick.
- Sweet Rub. First up is my awesome sweet rub. This rub combines brown sugar, spices, and smoked paprika for the best start to just about anything you cook on the BBQ. You can make this from scratch using my recipe for Best Sweet Rub, or purchase a bottle delivered directly to your door in the Hey Grill Hey Store.
- Maple Bourbon Glaze. This fish is finished with my super popular maple bourbon grilling glaze. This glaze is my favorite topper for grilled salmon! It’s a sweet glaze with the most amazing maple bourbon flavor. Just like the sweet rub, you can make the recipe from scratch with this recipe for Maple Bourbon Glaze, or buy it from my online shop to save a step.
How to BBQ Salmon
Here’s how to do it:
- Season. Season the salmon on all sides with sweet rub. Do NOT season the skin.
- Oil. Oil the grill grates with a folded paper towel dipped in avocado oil. Brush the grates to fully coat.
- Grill. With your grill preheated to 450 degrees F, grill the salmon flesh side down for 5 minutes. I used my gas grill for this recipe, but you can use whatever you have accessible on your porch.
- Glaze. Flip the salmon, baste with the maple bourbon glaze, and grill for another 4-5 minutes. This salmon is ready when the internal temperature measured with a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees F.
- Serve. Serve the salmon immediately. I like this salmon on a bed of rice with some Grilled Asparagus on the side!
How Long to BBQ Salmon
BBQ salmon is ready in a jiff! With your grill preheated to 450 degrees F, it only takes about 10 minutes to get your salmon up to 145 degrees F. Cook the fish for around 4-5 minutes per side.
As always, I recommend cooking to temperature and not to time. Every piece of fish will cook a bit differently, and what may take 10 minutes for one salmon filet may only take 8 minutes for another. Use a reliable internal meat thermometer and you’ll be sure to get every salmon cooked to the perfect temperature.
Tips for Making BBQ Salmon
Once you have all your ingredients assembled, and you’re ready to whip up this salmon, take note of these tips to help ensure your fish cooks well.
- Oil the grates. Using a high heat oil directly on the grates helps the delicate salmon release from the grill. My favorite is avocado oil, but canola oil works also!
- Use a thin metal spatula. A skinny spatula that gets right under the fish will help it lift away easily for the best flipping.
- Glaze at the end. Adding the maple bourbon glaze during the last 5 minutes helps the sauce get tacky without burning and charring.
Notice anything while you made this salmon that you’d like to share? Make sure to leave a comment below! We love to hear from you and see how you made this recipe your own!
More Grilled Salmon Recipes
It doesn’t get much better than grilled salmon. I mean, we’re pretty big fans here at Hey Grill Hey. If you’d like to check out more of our awesome recipes, click the links below!
- Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Seasoning
- Grilled Whole Salmon with Lemon and Shallots
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Salmon
Maple Bourbon BBQ Salmon Recipe
We sure hope you liked this maple bourbon BBQ salmon. It’s a favorite in our household and for good reason! If you loved this recipe, make sure to leave a 5-star rating and review. These help us continue to make the recipes that help you make better BBQ so you can feed the people you love and become a backyard BBQ hero.
Maple Bourbon BBQ Salmon
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 450 degrees F for direct heat grilling.
- Season. Season your salmon fillets with Sweet Rub on all sides, except for the skin.
- Oil the grill. Fold a paper towel into quarters and pour the avocado oil into a shallow bowl. Pinch the folded paper towel between your tongs and dip into the bowl of oil to saturate the paper towel. Brush the saturated paper towel on top of the hot grill grates to coat the grates.
- Grill the salmon. Place the seasoned salmon on the oiled grill grates, flesh side down. Close the lid and grill for 5 minutes.
- Glaze. Use a thin, metal fish spatula to flip the salmon skin side down. Baste the salmon filets with the maple bourbon glaze and close the grill lid. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the salmon reads at 145 degrees F internal temperature.
- Serve. Remove the salmon from the grill and transfer to your serving platter. Enjoy!
join the grill squad
Looking to up your BBQ game and become the ultimate backyard BBQ hero? Join my members-only group, The Grill Squad, for full access to my master classes, podcasts, and so much more! For a one-time payment of $89.99, you’ll join an amazing community of grillers that will help support you as you feed the people you love.
Join the Grill Squad