Let’s just acknowledge that meatloaf kind of gets a bad rap these days. Nobody is clamoring for a big ol’ slice of Grammy’s gray, dry meatloaf with ketchup slathered on top. This meatloaf though…… oh this BBQ meatloaf. This meatloaf brings all the boys to the yard.
Tender ground beef is supremely seasoned with peppers, onions, and garlic then wrapped in a heavenly bacon weave. Luscious, I tell you. The whole thing is roasted to beautiful golden perfection on my grill and lovingly glazed in BBQ sauce for a color and flavor that will blow everybody’s mind.
This recipe will make you a meatloaf lover. When I posted a picture of this meatloaf on Instagram earlier this week, I claimed the title of Best Housewife Ever and nobody disputed it. You can claim whatever title you want after making this meatloaf and people will be on board. Supreme Leader of the Grilling Realm? Done. Own it! P.S., check out my little cutie who couldn’t wait for a taste.
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce like Cholula
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- Preheat your grill for indirect heat at about 375 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Stir in the onions and peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add in the cooled pepper and onions and gently combine with your hands.
- Use the 10 pieces of bacon to create a bacon weave on a piece of parchment paper. Place the meatloaf on the middle of the weave and shape into a log.
- Roll the bacon weave over the meatloaf mixture and secure the ends with toothpicks.
- Carefully transfer your meatloaf to your grill grate, close the lid and cook for 45 minutes. Glaze with the BBQ sauce and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.