posted May 03, 2021
BBQ Meatloaf with a Bacon Weave
If you’re looking for the ultimate meatloaf recipe, look no further than this recipe for BBQ Meatloaf. It’s everything you ever wanted from meatloaf with the most amazing grilled/smoked flavor.
Let’s just acknowledge that meatloaf kind of gets a bad rap these days. Nobody is clamoring for a big ol’ slice of Granny’s dry, gray meatloaf with ketchup slathered on top. This meatloaf though, oh this BBQ meatloaf! This meatloaf is truly a work of BBQ art.
Tender ground beef is supremely seasoned with peppers, onions, and garlic, then wrapped in a heavenly bacon weave. Luscious, I tell you. The whole thing is roasted to beautiful golden perfection on the grill and lovingly glazed in BBQ sauce for a color and flavor that will blow everybody’s mind.
BBQ Bacon Meatloaf
The two elements of this meatloaf that set it apart from the rest are the bacon weave and the BBQ sauce. While you can always cover the meatloaf in a few slices of bacon, this method often results in the bacon sliding off while cooking, or not getting enough bacon goodness with each slice for your guests. By wrapping the meatloaf in a bacon weave, you get lots of good bacon flavor covering the entire meatloaf.
Next up is the BBQ sauce. Adding BBQ sauce to the meatloaf instead of the standard ketchup results in a richer flavor overall. I highly recommend my Everything BBQ Sauce (available for purchase from my store) or my Kansas City BBQ Sauce (recipe link) for this meatloaf.
Whatever sauce you choose, make sure it is a ketchup-based sauce so you still get that tomato flavor.
How to Cook Meatloaf on the BBQ
Let’s get to making this meatloaf, shall we? While this may seem like a complicated process, you’ll find it simply has a few extra steps that help make it the best of the best. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for a full, printable recipe card with ingredient amounts and more detailed steps.
- Make the meatloaf. This meatloaf combines lots of tasty ingredients, including sautéed onions and peppers, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, and BBQ sauce.
- Wrap in a bacon weave. Using 10 pieces of bacon (regular thickness works best here), make a bacon weave and wrap it over the meatloaf to make a log. Not sure how to make a bacon weave? Check out my tutorial for How to Make a Bacon Weave.
- Cook the BBQ meatloaf. You can cook this meatloaf in a variety of ways. I cooked it on my Camp Chef pellet grill, but feel free to use whatever you have available. With your grill preheated for indirect cooking to 375 degrees F, cook the meatloaf for 45 minutes. Brush with BBQ sauce, and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Serve. Once your meatloaf has reached the proper temperature, remove it from the grill and allow it to cool slightly. When ready to serve, slice and serve with additional BBQ sauce on the side.
It doesn’t get much easier than meatloaf, I tell ya. And it’s a delicious and comforting meal for any day of the week!
Tips for Making BBQ Meatloaf
Here are some tips to making this BBQ meatloaf the best of the best:
- Choose your bacon adventure. The bacon in this recipe is soft, not crunchy. If you want crunchy bacon, skip the BBQ sauce glaze and broil the meatloaf for a few minutes before serving. Serve the BBQ sauce on the side.
- Double up! You can double the meat recipe without doubling the bacon weave if you want heartier slices. The bacon weave will not wrap all of the way around the doubled meatloaf, but it will still create a nice bacon blanket and give you loads of flavor.
- Make it spicy. Swap the bell peppers for diced jalapenos and level up your heat levels!
Well, my friends. You’re ready to make yourself some awesome meatloaf. Check out the next section of this post for some suggestions on what to serve on the side with meatloaf to make it a complete meal!
Meatloaf Side Dishes
Now that you have a delicious meatloaf prepped for dinner, let’s talk sides! There are plenty of delicious sides you can serve with meatloaf, but I find these are the most classic and make for a filling meal:
BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
BBQ Meatloaf with a Bacon Weave
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup red onion (diced)
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Everything BBQ Sauce (or your favorite ketchup-based BBQ sauce)
- Preheat the grill. Preheat your grill (I cooked this on my pellet smoker, but you can use whatever grill you have available) for indirect heat to 375 degrees F.
- Saute the onions and peppers. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Stir in the onions and peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Make the meatloaf. In a large mixing bowl add the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, ½ cup BBQ sauce, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add in the cooled pepper and onions and gently combine with your hands.
- Make a bacon weave. Use the 10 pieces of bacon to create a bacon weave on a piece of parchment paper. Place the meatloaf on the middle of the weave and shape into a log. Roll the bacon weave over the meatloaf mixture and secure the ends with toothpicks.
- Cook the meatloaf. Carefully transfer your meatloaf to the grill grates, close the lid, and cook for 45 minutes. Glaze with the BBQ sauce and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees F.
- Rest, slice, and serve. Allow the meatloaf to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
**This post was originally published in January 2016. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
BBQ Must Haves
leave a review
Required fields are marked *
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!