I know when it comes to outdoor cooking the spotlight tends to fall on the meat dishes (naturally), but some little part in my soul just really wants to give credit to the supporting roles in a grilled meal; the SIDES! Sides like this lemon and Parmesan grilled broccoli. A more beautiful, flavorful, and simple side dish might not exist in this world.
Most people have never even considered the idea of grilled broccoli. Most other veggies they willingly throw on those fiery grates with abandon, but with broccoli they hesitate. Why?? Don’t hesitate people! Just… don’t. The woodsy and mellow natural flavor of broccoli lends itself so beautifully to the bold smoky flavors of the grill! In just a few minutes, the heat transforms the beloved little bushes from raw and bland dental floss into crunch-tender morsels of flavorful roasted heaven. Speaking of mouthfuls… try to say that sentence 10 times fast. And take a video of you doing it and send it to me.
Here’s the bottom line. Roasted broccoli on the grill is AWESOME! Broccoli that is tossed in bright lemon juice and robust garlic and then grilled is absolutely beyond the stars and out of this freaking world. Plus, it is just stupid simple. One of my main requirements for veggies is that they’ve got to be easy. I’m a meat and potatoes kind of girl, so eating veggies is hard enough without the added burden of putting in a TON of time preparing some beet/fennel/leek/sweet potato dish and then having my kids gag on it. Veggies=easy in my household and boy does this broccoli fit that equation.
The basic beak down is like this: Open bag, put in broccoli, lemon, oil, seasonings, and garlic. Shake bag and let it set for a little while. Pour bag of broccoli onto hot grill alongside whatever awesome main course you’re firing up. Cook until done. Sprinkle cheese. Eat. BLOW MINDS EVERYWHERE! Bada bing bada boom. Side dish in minutes that is healthy, tastes bomb, and requires practically zero extra planning (because who’s got time to plan sides when you’re cooking The Perfect Steak?) Last time I used shredded asiago cheese instead of the Parm and it was sooooo good!
Personal tip- use a grill mat or veggie grilling basket to prevent the broccoli from falling through the grates. These metal baskets are the perfect size for sides and I use them all of the time (affiliate).
- 2-3 heads fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- Place broccoli in a large zip top bag. Combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper; drizzle over broccoli and toss to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, start your grill and set the temperature to medium (around 300-350 degrees.) Close the lid, and allow the grill to preheat for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the broccoli in a grilling basket or on something like the FrogMat to prevent the broccoli from sticking or falling through the grate.
- Roast the broccoli, turning once or twice for 8-10 minutes or until the pieces are bright green and tender crisp. There will likely be some slight char on a few pieces. This is good!
- Remove the broccoli from the grill to a serving platter and top with shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.