Smoked cabbage is a tasty side dish for any backyard BBQ, but wrap that cabbage in bacon and you’re in for a next level feast.
Historically when I’ve cooked cabbage, it has been as a side dish on St. Patrick’s day with my Smoked Corned Beef. We also do coleslaw frequently and my German food loving husband can never get enough sauerkraut. Cabbage is a good part of our diet, but it is always just a side or condiment. I decided it was time to bring cabbage to the forefront of the meal with a dish that looked as good as it tasted.
And what makes any dish better? Bacon. Obviously.
Bacon Wrapped Smoked Cabbage
I could have simply draped the bacon over the top and called it a day, but I wanted to make a cabbage statement. A dinner table centerpiece. So I decided to give my cabbage a bacon blanket. The process looks impressive and difficult, but it is pretty easy and takes less than 5 minutes. I photographed the process years ago, so you can check it out and follow the steps! I’ve also got a sped up version in the video below the recipe card if you’re a visual learner.
The only things you need, other than cabbage and bacon is some olive oil and your favorite BBQ seasoning. I used my Homemade Sweet Rub (check my store for availability if you’d rather buy it!) to bring in that sweet and savory bite to the cabbage. Since the seasoning is only hitting the outside of the cabbage, I like to get it on there pretty thick.
How Long to Smoke Cabbage?
I tested this recipe several times with different cooking temperatures and time, and I found it was the best smoked low and slow. I ran my smoker at 275 degrees F for about 3 hours. The bacon was well rendered and crisp and the cabbage was perfectly tender with a little bite. You can use any wood that you like, really, but I recommend something along the lines of pecan or maple. I can see this cabbage hitting the smoker alongside whatever other main protein you’ve already got on the smoker, so just use whatever wood you’ve already got rolling that day.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
Love to smoke or grill veggies for the perfect side for your main dish? Try out some of these most popular grilled veggies on the site:
Smoked Cabbage Recipe
Follow the recipe and I’ll teach you the simple steps to making your own bacon wrapped smoked cabbage. You can find more of my smoking and grilling recipes and videos on YouTube, Instagram, or our Facebook Page. Follow along and let’s make awesome food together!
Bacon Wrapped Smoked Cabbage
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Homemade Sweet Rub
- 12 slices bacon
- Preheat smoker to 275 degrees F with your favorite hard wood.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the stem and part of the core from the cabbage.
- Drizzle the cabbage head with olive oil and spread evenly around. Season the cabbage on all sides with the sweet rub.
- Assemble your bacon weave on a large piece of parchment paper by laying 6 slices of bacon side by side and alternating 6 strips in the opposite direction over and under the other strips. Roll up the parchment around the bacon weave.
- Unroll the bacon weave over the top of the cabbage. Use toothpicks to secure the loose ends of the bacon to the cabbage.
- Place the wrapped cabbage on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 3 hours.
- Remove from the smoker and take out all of the toothpicks. Slice into wedges and serve.