posted December 10, 2021
Z Grills 700D4E Review
Today, I’m reviewing the Z Grills flagship, the new 2021 Z Grills 700D4E. Z Grills is a company that listens to its customers and the 700D4E is a direct result, being an upgraded model of their ridiculously popular 700D. This grill is feature-packed, and with a the current price point of $639.00, it’s a value sure to knock your socks off!
Z Grills sent us this grill for testing and review purposes, however, all opinions are our own.
Z Grills 700D4E Features
The 700D4E is a great pellet grill with a plethora of awesome features, including the following:
- Upgraded PID controller with two temperature probes
- Convenient pellet swap door to change flavors on the fly
- Built-in storage cabinet
- 697 sq. inches of cooking space
- Porcelain-coated cooking racks
Z Grills 700D4E Assembly
The instructions included by Z Grills are easy to follow, and I was able to assemble the grill, cabinet and all, in under 2 hours. Having a helping hand will make the assembly process quicker and easier, as the hopper and grill body are fairly heavy and tough to align on your own.
During the assembly process, I found two dents in the grill body that kept the lid from closing all the way. A couple of quick whacks with a hammer and we’re ready to go!
When you’re ready, getting this grill started is incredibly easy! Starting this grill for the first time when it’s empty is slightly different than one that has already been filled with pellets and seasoned. Make sure you follow the break-in and seasoning procedure outlined in the manual before proceeding. Let’s get that smoke rolling!
Here’s how to start your Z Grills 700D4E
- Fill your hopper. You can use any wood pellets you like with this smoker. I recommend using a wood specific to the meat you plan on cooking.
- Set your desired temperature. Use the controller to set the temperature. As with the wood, refer to the recipe you are cooking to determine the temperature needed.
- Let the grill preheat for 10-30 minutes, and let that smoke roll! Allow plenty of time for the smoker to preheat. You want a steady temperature and nice, even smoke flowing before placing your food on the grill.
Cooking on the Z Grills 700D4E
Cooking on the 700D4E is much like cooking on any other pellet grill out there. The PID controller is what makes this grill shine with its easy-to-read screen and ability to maintain very steady temperatures throughout the entire cooking process. With a temperature range of 180 degrees F – 450 degrees F, you can cook hot and fast or low and slow with ease!
This rack of ribs was smoked on the 700D4E during testing and they were incredible! The grill packed in a ton of smoky flavor and even produced a smoke ring over a quarter-inch thick!
Z Grills 700D4E Cleanup
The cleanout process on the 700D4E is pretty much the same as most of the pellet grills on the market. The cooking racks, drip tray, and deflector plate are easy to remove to get to the ash and grease that can accumulate inside the grill. After all of that is out of the way, you are provided easy access to the firepot with a vacuum or similar tool to make sure it’s free of pellets and ash for your next cooking session.
What We Like
Here are some of my favorite things about the 700D4E from Z Grills:
- Temperature control. The new PID controller shines here. I used multiple probes from my Thermoworks Smoke X4 to monitor the internal temperatures throughout my testing and the biggest temperature swings I saw were less than 10℉.
- 20-pound pellet hopper. The hopper easily fits an entire bag of pellets. You could probably cram an extra pound or two in there if you tried! More storage means less time refilling your hopper during those long smokes!
- Hopper cleanout. The pellet door on the back of the hopper makes it extremely easy to empty your grill for storage or swap pellet flavors on the fly.
- 3-year warranty. Z-Grills provides a 3-year warranty on this grill, giving you peace of mind should something go wrong or need replacing.
- Powder-coated steel construction with stainless steel lid.
- Large storage cabinet.
- Heavy-duty casters.
What Could be Improved
Even though this is a great grill, there are a few things that could be improved with the 700D4E:
- Build quality. While the grill is well built for the price point, the metal seems a bit thin and our grill had a few manufacturing defects. These were easily remedied without having to get Z Grills involved though. The smokestack also seems to be at a bit of an angle instead of square to the grill body.
- WiFi connectivity. This feature isn’t terribly important to me, however, this feature should be considered as many of the 700D4E’s competitors boast this on their feature list.
Great Recipes for the Z Grills 700D4E
Do you have the Z Grills 700D4E in your backyard, or are you planning on buying one in the future? If so, I recommend trying these awesome recipes with your pellet grill.
Z Grills 700D4E Review: Final Thoughts
The Z Grills 700D4E is a great option for people looking for an entry-level pellet grill. It has a great feature set that will make you feel like your money was well spent. The grill holds temperature well, is extremely easy to move around, and will produce killer smoked food at an affordable price.
BBQ Must Haves
Join the Grill Squad
The Grill Squad is our exclusive membership program that will transform bland cookouts into booming barbecues that you'll remember for a lifetime. The technique and skills you learn will bring your backyard cookouts to a new level. For the cost of a full brisket, you'll get annual access to an exclusive BBQ community, Pitmaster Classes, discounts, and much much more!